USB controller causes menu to scroll up indefinitely

Hi there.

I’m having an issue where the menu scrolls like made when I connect a USB controller. It’s a Sega Mega Drive 8 Button Arcade Pad. The official one. It works in OpenEmu, Godot, and Unreal. So I know it’s neither a hardware nor a driver issue. Switching to mfi won’t do anything since it’s not an mfi but a hid.

Any idea what I can do?

System is: Monterey 12.7.2 (intel) Retroarch: 1.16.0 (October 2, 2023)

What OS you are using ?

System is: Monterey 12.7.2 (intel) Retroarch: 1.16.0 (October 2, 2023)

In Retroarch menu Settings \ Drivers \ in sub menu “Controller” which options show for you ?

Still as I initially wrote: mfi or hid.
No other options

You has tried disabling “AutoConfig” in Input Menu ?

Yes. When I do that, nothing is recognised. I try to set up the controller, press the buttons as prompted. Nothing happens, it just times out.

How nothing happens ? Autoconfig disabled not is possible map an key using the controller ?

Exactly. When I disable Autoconfig so it doesn’t scroll like mad, no input from the controller is recognised by Retroarch. I have the choice of two types of it not working. The peaceful nothing works and the angry scroll.

That issue is recent ? You have tested in Retroarch previous version 1.16 ? When you start Retroarch is showed an message line about your controller ? If yes is correct named ?

When I disconnect the controller it displays a message “USB Gamepad disconnected”. Which is the correct name. As for prior versions, no as I have no way of knowing which version to pick that doesn’t have the bug. I would need to test all of them and at that point it’s just not worth it.

Your controller are being configured internally as an generic gamepad. That issue happen in others softwares emulators in your machine ?

As I said before, no. It’s isolated to RetroArch.

You has accessed inside Retroarch path the folder “autoconfig” ? Try find the “usb gamepad” and read inside text information. That control not is analog. Perhaps Retroarch are reading dpad and buttons as being analog.

It didn’t have a USB Gamepad file in there, so I created one, even put the right vendor and product IDs in and all. Made sure it’s properly mapped as well. Then I started Retroarch and it scrolled like crazy again. Started again to double check, did it again.

Thank you for your help though but this app is rubbish. I’m going back to OpenEmu.

Here happening an strange issue with PS4 DS4 controller. If pressing R3 not any input from others buttons. I use R3 for hotkey fastforward. Testing for an fix and i see disabling autoconfig has fixed that issue in an core. That issue is recent. Now I need to reconfigure all inputs for ANY core all again.

Perhaps that issue with your controller is an bug in internal configuration files or in retroarch code.

Well … OpenEmu has less cores than Retroarch, but seeing your controller is as if you will play consoles from fourth generation.

If the digital is similar as the original genesis megadriver your controller is very good.

You can configure the L and R buttons as being an combo A+B+C and X+Y+Z.

I have used AntimicroX for doing it … works very well. unhappily Retroarch not allow bind the same console key for multiple buttons.

I not known if have any similar software as AntimicroX for Mac.

However if have one is the temporary solution for you … you can map an controller key to keyboard and in Retroarch disable any option using your controller allowing only keyboard input.