USB SNES Controller Input Problem (D-Pad)

Hi,

I have a problem with Retroarch on my Android tablet.

I use two original SNES controllers via an USB adapter to play on the tablet. Right from the beginning I want to say that this setup has worked in the past (haven’t used it in a while and probably flashed the tablet coupletimes in the meantime).

The problem is that both d-pads of my SNES controllers don’t work INGAME (they do work perfectly in the Retroarch menus and are recognized by the emulator), all the other buttons do work. I tried about every possible option in the input menu, all the provided cores and different emulators, but nothing helped/worked. However, my Logitech Rumblepad works and the two SNES controller also work fine with the SNES9x emulator both on Android and on my PC (so I guess I can exclude a hardware defect).

Input debug report also shows the d-pads recognized while in game, but there is no reaction in the game it self.

Does anyone might have an advice? I also reinstalled the App.

greets

AL

Are you using the 1.0.0.2 version from the Play store or one of the nightlies? I assume the Play store version, and I would typically suggest you try a nightly, but I think autodetect / input mapping is weird/broken in them at the moment (in android, at least).

I’ve been researching this and this issue is not unique to Android users. I think something has been corrupted in the 1.0.0.2 release. A missing quote mark in the code or something.

Yes I’m using the Play Store version of Retroarch. But it’s a good hint, I might try out an older version or just wait for a fix to come out. Good to know, it’s not only me who is having this problem.

the play store version is ancient, try the version from the buildbot

I tried Version 1.0.0.2 but same Problem. Couldn’t really find an older version to download for testing.

This is really frustrating especially since this has worked before. Any other suggestions?

Try 1.0.0.1 i got better suceess with my controllers thant 1.0.0.2. Nightly can work if you bind your buttons

I went back to 1.0.0.1 as suggested by renejr902 and now it works. Thanks for the advice =) I hope they fix this soon before more people are having this problem and might give up on it.

Autodetect / input mapping still seems broken alright, and in a big way; as well as play store version 1.0.0.2, I’ve tried stable builds 1.0.0.0, 1.0.0.1 and several recent nightly builds, both using autodetect and custom binds, all to no avail with both my generic snes usb controller and my DualShock 3 (wired).

Fingers crossed for v1.1, I guess, however can someone explain why buildbot doesn’t list the earlier stable builds? My own research suggests 0.9.9.6 worked ok; I’d give it a shot but not prepared to download it from some generic bandit emulator website… Frustrating :confused:

Auto detect and input mapping work fine actually.

Autodetect now relies on external config files. Of there isn’t one for your pad then it won’t do a thing.

To map stuff manually disable autodetect and use the bind all option. Respond to the button prompts and presto. The only thing broken about that is that you might have to do it over and over again.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I will download another recent nightly and try again. Must admit, I never saw a ‘bind all’ option, I disabled autodetect and manually bound each key (that IS tedious!) -shouldn’t this do the same thing? They seemed to map ok and I then loaded core, then content and it just wouldn’t respond in game or when I dropped back to RGUI, which I had to then navigate onscreen with the overlay. This with a DS3 controller.

I’ve seen similar recent posts in the “Unable to use ‘Start’ button - Nyko PlayPad Pro” thread but will try again anyway.

I must have RA file fragments all over the place by now, what with all these installs / uninstalls!

I suspect your Android device is running something older than KitKat (4.4). :wink: See my thread about broken input on the Fire TV.

I am indeed: Galaxy S4 on stock 4.3 , old but I still like it and wasn’t looking to update just now. Thanks for this, I had wondered if it could be a JellyBean thing…

Again, anyone know why no 0.9.9.6 on the buildbot?

There was a period, at least, where you could map a 360 pad without any external software. I know because I tested it on my old iMac when meancoot first implemented it. That’s been awhile, though. I’ll try to get some more testing in with a fresher build soon.

@ Radius: I found the ‘bind all’ option in RGUI, thanks; however Dual Shock 3 still won’t map, either in latest nightly build or play store version (the latter must have config file for this controller, right?).

@ Googer: In view of the above, you’re probably onto something with your broken input pre-KitKat.

@ hunterk: getting ‘auto’ pad mapping back on the agenda as you suggested in your last post would be awesome and I’d have thought Dual Shock 3 and 360 pad would probably be two of the most popular ones…?

I only have a DS3 to test (no otg cable, so BT only). It works fine with auto mapping for me though. I’ll wipe my autoconf files and try to map it manually later today… I’m just a bit tired now

Try this: http://blog.andressm.org/retroarch-android-gamepad-configuration/

Let me know

A* for effort there, thanks again! That’s the same nightly I used, however first thing I notice is you’re on a Shield, rooted on Lollipop. I expect my issues are probably down to a mixture of my device being a Galaxy S4 i9505 on stock (non-carrier) Jelly Bean 4.3 unrooted, coupled with my own general noobness when it comes to RA / emulators: I’ve been sideloading the nighly apk, then pulling cores in once installed from the ‘downloadable cores’ screen and that’s it; hope I’m not missing something.

I set autoconfig on (you mean check ‘input > configuration autodetection’ right?), started and connected my DS3 via usb and successfully used it to set overlay and launch RA but still no dice once in RGUI. I had to use the overlay to load core and get to ‘User 1 Device Index’. Once in there, I get ‘N/A’ on all ports, I can only see ‘RetroPad / RetroKeyBoard’ under bind mode and device type. Selecting ‘User 1 Device Index’ brings up the menu but when it asks for the buttons I want to bind, I get no response / v.erratic response from the pad when I hit the buttons. I then have to force close as no timeout here, as per your issue #1427.

Guess it might be a case of go KitKat / Lollipop or go home…

How does the gamepad work in pre KK? is it an IME? or is it a native android gamepad?

You mean the other generic snes pad? Basically it’s one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Retro-Gaming-Controller-Joypad-Style/dp/B00DP0KYS0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Just remembered I also have my PS2 DualShock2 with a PS2 > USB adapter. Will give that a bash on the same nightly build and report back but I already tried it a while back on play store RA and same problem.