Using 6 buttons in Sega Genesis games

How do I use a six button configuration when playing games in the Sega Mega Drive?

You shouldn’t have to do anything special, just map the buttons and go. If you’re using an overlay, there should be an overlay button that switches to the 6-button configuration.

I did map all of the inputs, but the games still do not recognise a 6-button input.

Hello all,

I also have issues with getting the 6 button pad running for Megadrive / Genesis games. I have a raspberry pi 4 with the latest Lakka release and I am using a 8bitdo M30 BT pad which is a reinterpretation of a MD pad. The pad is being recognized and it works. However the mapping is following the retropad scheme. So it looks like the following mapping is being used:

retropad layout -> MD Pad/M30 Y -> A B -> B A -> C X -> Y L -> Z R -> X

Now, I tried wo change those setting accordingly in the input settings section of Lakka.

Then I have two issues: 1.) The menu controls are being changed now which is not so great. I just want to have inputs in the Megadrive games corrected but not changed within the menu when choosing the Megadrive Core. In the end I could live with this issue, but now there also might be a bug… 2.) When I push X on the M30 pad, I always come back to the Lakka menu (although I chose a different button combination for the in-game menu switch!)

It would be really great if someone has an idea what I can do here :slight_smile:

Best would be if it could be changed how the retropad layout (or in my case the M30 layout) is being translated to the original megadrive layout. Then the controls within Lakka would not change and all games within the sega emulator could work with a correct 6 button layout. I am sure there is some way, but how, I have no clue :confused:

Thanks! Jan

I got 2.) somehow fixed.

Now I have the issue that the controller inputs are always staying the same, so if I set the inputs for genesis, and then I play SNES, I have to reconfigure it to Snes etc.

It does NOT save the inouts for each core. I saw a related setting but this has no impact for me.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

The FAQ says also this: "

Input remapping

The recent version of RetroArch can remap inputs per core, or maybe even per game. " This did not work for me :frowning:

Or is it maybe because the Raspberry Pi 4 versions has still some bugs?

In the

Quick Menu
    └ Controls

should be the option to

Save Core Remap File
Save Content Directory Remap File
Save Game Remap File

With this you can leave your global controller mapping unaltered and save only for those systems/games you need a different button-layout