Using a CRT monitor with Retroarch

I am thinking about going down the crt road for fun. I found crt sdtv with component input at my work. I have been looking at some converter boxes to convert HDMI to component. I found some, but I wonder if i’m going down a bad path with hdmi, and will have lots of lag or other problems.

My video card only has hdmi out so something like this would be my only option.

I’m not sure how much latency will be involved but I see that the lowest res it provides is 480p, which may not play nicely with an SDTV.

Interesting. I definitely need to learn more. I am a bit confused. I know this is out of scope for retorarch conversation. Is 240p an actual sdtv signal/resolution? I was under the impression all sdtv’s were 480p, and 240p was kind of a trick consoles used, and not an official standard but more of a console 16bit standard.

I guess I would just have to play and find out. I would be fine with 480p and your interlace.cp shader if the configuration would work.

You are correct that 240p wasn’t a real standard until much later (think: ipod video era). However, all NTSC televisions are 480i. What retro gamers call 240p is really a hack of 480i in which the same set of fields from an interlaced frame are show twice instead of alternating even and odd fields. This is also known as “double-strike”.

If your TV supports 480p, that adapter should be fine, and using that interlacing shader would be very close to running native “240p”.

[QUOTE=hunterk;33288]You are correct that 240p wasn’t a real standard until much later (think: ipod video era). However, all NTSC televisions are 480i. What retro gamers call 240p is really a hack of 480i in which the same set of fields from an interlaced frame are show twice instead of alternating even and odd fields. This is also known as “double-strike”.

If your TV supports 480p, that adapter should be fine, and using that interlacing shader would be very close to running native “240p”.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thank you so much hunterk for all of your help.

This is a useful new(ish) free tool that should help anyone who is frustrated by their inability to set custom video modes in Windows: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU . It has a CRT standard setting as well.

I’ve tried to create a similar setup on Arch Linux, but I’m getting a “[GLX]: Entering true fullscreen failed. Will attempt windowed mode.” error. I created a new mode using the “cvt 3840 480” output.:

# xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 16384 x 16384
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 272mm x 204mm
   1280x1024     60.02* 
   1024x768      74.93    75.08    75.03    70.07    60.00  
   1024x768i     86.96  
   832x624       74.55  
   800x600       72.19    75.00    60.32    56.25  
   640x480       75.00    72.81    66.67    60.00    59.94  
   720x400       87.85    70.08  
   480i          59.90

The full log is in the attachment and here’s the config since txt size limit here sucks (19.5 KB).

Are you able to use exclusive fullscreen at normal resolutions? I’m assuming not, since it’s having trouble connecting to your Wayland server. If you run retroarch --features, does it say you have Wayland support compiled in?

I don’t use Wayland. EDIT: And exclusive fullscreen works fine on normal resolutions.

Looking at your xrandr output, it doesn’t look like you’ve actually added that resolution yet, so RetroArch won’t be able to use it.

Umm, I called it “480i”.

Ok, in that case, does it give you the same error if you switch over to it first via xrandr and then start RA?

Yup.

Not a big fan of the minimum message character limit either to be honest. EDIT: So I’ve decided to submit the error to the issue tracker.

That’s fine but you’re not likely to get a whole lot of help there, since I’m the only one on the team that messes with CRTs.

What I was trying to get at with my questions is that it works fine for me in Ubuntu (though my GPU will only put out 1920px instead of 3840px), so it’s probably not specifically a problem with RetroArch but rather an issue with your GPU/driver, desktop environment or some combination thereof.

It has been a few months since I’ve used that setup, though, so it’s possible something has broken since then. I’ll try to get some time to verify that it works with the latest git.

Well, it’s radeon driver on HD6670 in any case.

EDIT: The DE is Xfce. Also I can’t seem to find a way to add a new resolution to the system for the KMS mode.

Apparently the recent builds produce a detailed error message. Is this supposed to be a driver bug?

X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) Major opcode of failed request: 152 (XFree86-VidModeExtension) Minor opcode of failed request: 10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode) Value in failed request: 0x4aa Serial number of failed request: 31 Current serial number in output stream: 33

I just came across this thread while trying to find how a CRT Monitor would deal with Retro consoles. I do have RA as well in my PC.

NOW I am getting this 22" IBM Monitor 673560N C220p Think vision monitor for really cheap. It has a VGA and DVI-A in.

My PC is i7 4790k and gtx970.

I was wondering is it a good model to get for retro ?? Esp. Considering the 2k resolution it has…

Will it support the 240p resolution via Nvidia custom resolutions and or if I hook up my retro Trio console through a DVD recorders VGA out?

Thanks!

it should be good. That aperture grill screen is gonna look awesome. In Windows, I’m not sure how to force 240p resolutions with an Nvidia card (AMD cards can use crt-emudriver) but you can very easily do 480p resolutions and use the interlacing shader to print solid black over every other line. This doesn’t look quite as nice as a true 240p resolution but it’s close and it will properly handle 480i resolutions, which are common N64/PS1 games, particularly for menus.

If you do want to try for true 240p, the monitor is more likely to accept 120+ hz refresh rates that keep it in the 31 khz horizontal scan rate range rather than the 15 khz rate that normal TVs use. Speaking of which, your Retro Trio probably isn’t going to work because it puts out a 15 khz signal.

[QUOTE=hunterk;47191]it should be good. That aperture grill screen is gonna look awesome. In Windows, I’m not sure how to force 240p resolutions with an Nvidia card (AMD cards can use crt-emudriver) but you can very easily do 480p resolutions and use the interlacing shader to print solid black over every other line. This doesn’t look quite as nice as a true 240p resolution but it’s close and it will properly handle 480i resolutions, which are common N64/PS1 games, particularly for menus.

If you do want to try for true 240p, the monitor is more likely to accept 120+ hz refresh rates that keep it in the 31 khz horizontal scan rate range rather than the 15 khz rate that normal TVs use. Speaking of which, your Retro Trio probably isn’t going to work because it puts out a 15 khz signal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for quick reply I’m going to order it today.

Nvidia does have a menu for custom resolutions in its control panel. But I have only used it to set higher than supported resolutions.

& You mean to say, Retro Trio won’t work at all? It works with my current Benq GL2450B. I hook it up to the S-Video in on my DVD recorder and output thorugh VGA or Component.

[QUOTE=NHS2008;47199]Thanks for quick reply I’m going to order it today.

Nvidia does have a menu for custom resolutions in its control panel. But I have only used it to set higher than supported resolutions.

& You mean to say, Retro Trio won’t work at all? It works with my current Benq GL2450B. I hook it up to the S-Video in on my DVD recorder and output thorugh VGA or Component.[/QUOTE]

You’re converting the device’s 15kHz signal into something usable by the PC monitor with that process, that’s why he said it’s not working. And it’s indeed quite a “dirty” process, if you know what it involves. The results can only be extremely poor. So much, that once you get RA properly configured [does RA support black-frame insertion? Check it out if the monitor supports 640x480 at 120 Hz, that should be the best way with your hardware] , you’ll never touch that device again, since most games it runs are very-well emulated with RA.