Using a temp controller... WTF ? How?

Hey all,

I have RetroArch setup with Xbox 360 wireless controller to my PC…all has been working great (OS is Windows 7 x64)

So, now I am playing Mike Tyson’s Punch-out, and as expected, using a 360 controller with out the direct arrows, can be very challenging.

So I went on eBay and grabbed a brand name NES to USB adapter (as I own all the games on my emulator) and I have a bunch of original NES controllers

Once I got it, I connected it all together, NES controller to USB adapater, dropped it in the USB on my PC, and started RetroArch.

Screwed up everything. The NES controller didn’t work at all in any games, I disconnected it and connected my 360 controller and it worked with the NES. So I tried other systems, my Sega Master system didn’t work AT ALL (controls) or another system. I played with the menu but, ended up deleting the RETROARCH.cfg file and recreated it…all is back to the 360 controller again.

I was thinking about getting a few of these adapters for some systems so I can use the ORGINAL controller to play some of the RETRO games (NES, SNES, maybe even a 2600)

So, How can I keep everything thing working but, add a TEMP controller to play games with out screwing up the original one ? The 360 controller works great for most systems and games but, there is always an odd ball one that would be better with the original (and I found a possible way to deal with it)

BTW: I took the NES adapter to another PC, and tried a NES emulator and it worked fine, so I know the combo works… It should be digital as the Tomee NES Controller to PC USB Converter Adapter Cable should convert it

When you connect the NES pad and adapter, does it say “[whatever controller] configured”? If it says “not configured”, you need to go into settings > input > p1 input binds > bind all and map your controls. Once you have them mapped, use ‘save autoconfig profile’ to create an autoconfig profile for it. Exit retroarch and come back and see if it says it’s configured now. If not, go through the steps again (for some reason, it takes some people 2 cycles, dunno why).

At that point, it should recognize your pad+adapter automatically from then on. If you care to, you can submit that autoconfig profile to https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-joypad-autoconfig and it will be available through the online updater and with future releases of RetroArch.

1 Like

When I connected the NES pad and Adapter. It said NES configured (something of the sort) but, the controller never worked.

The thing is, when I removed NES adapter, and rolled back to my last controller(360 wireless), it didn’t work right on all systems (as it worked 100% prior before trying the NES controller). Even after restarting RetroArch.

Any idea on that one ?

hmm, no. It should snap back to defaults once you unplug it.