V1.2 Wii Bug Reports

I came here on my own accord to report bugs that break usability (not being able to scroll menus makes it unusable on Android, the crashes on the Nintendo nightlies make it unusable, crashes under Windows Vista, wrong error messages for netplay to name a few) and have mostly been met with dismissive attitudes (this works for me, who cares, etc.) The fact that these went unfixed shows that you need bug reporters and more. Y’all are something else.

And it sounds like you guys are the ones who can’t handle the truth. I experience random crashes on every platform I’ve used this on (Wii, Windows 32 and 64 bit, Android) with supposedly “stable” versions.

[QUOTE=thatcadguy;30736]I came here on my own accord to report bugs that break usability (not being able to scroll menus makes it unusable on Android, the crashes on the Nintendo nightlies make it unusable, crashes under Windows Vista, wrong error messages for netplay to name a few) and have mostly been met with dismissive attitudes (this works for me, who cares, etc.) The fact that these went unfixed shows that you need bug reporters and more. Y’all are something else.

And it sounds like you guys are the ones who can’t handle the truth. I experience random crashes on every platform I’ve used this on (Wii, Windows 32 and 64 bit, Android) with supposedly “stable” versions.[/QUOTE] Someone it’s getting close to a ban.

I’m a developer too (web developer), and I’m no C expert, just an amateur one and not saying either: “hey this doesn’t work and I’m a programmer too” , I created a branch in github and make my own “old stable version”, if you don’t like it fix it then, help with coding not complaining.

I don’t like v1.2.2 too, but I decided to make something and I’ve learned retroarch code too, you could too if you want.

[QUOTE=ioev;30520]As far as I can tell, it built and ran fine. I used Wiiload, and wasn’t deleting configs in between builds, so maybe I should have been doing that. I’ll do a bit more checking tonight, to make sure that the builds that didn’t load (they just stuck at a black screen, or exiting after a few seconds like the current nightly) were actually failing in the same way as the nightly.

I also did a bit more playing around with the “Crop Overscan” disabled, and it’s definitely causing the video corruption issue I had encountered before and thought had been fixed. Turns out I just left the option enabled. When disabled, you get a bit of video corruption, and then loading another file gets much worse (I’ve only tested a 240p-ish resolution) and the corruption even carries back to the hombrew channel and system menu causing weird slowdown and a strange orange tint.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm the video corruption when Crop Overscan is disabled.

The video corruption when crop overscan is disabled in snes9x-next in an issue that have been there since a long time ago (I could say it has always been there). It just affects this core and it’s easily avoided by having the crop enabled. For snes games it doesn’t matter as the no crop is applied.

I’d say time would be better spent helping to improve the current version of RA instead of clinging to an old version. 1.0.0.2 is going to become obsolete pretty soon anyway especially when we start moving towards libretro v2. It is in your best interests to push to upstream, especially since we are one of the few devs still pushing releases for the Nintendo Wii anyway.

From what I see, something in Salamander might be broken right now for the Wii. Let’s have some collaborative teamwork going on here so that this thread serves some kind of purpose.

The thread is pretty extensive so forgive if these have already been reported:

• 1.2.2 stable
  • playing on WiiU (if it makes any difference) The issues I encounter so far are:
  • snes9x next have issues with overscan off (I think it may come from way back… not sure) but yeah. screen corrupts and sometimes it makes the core crash which takes me to the next issue…
  • retroarch crashes randomly. Sometimes gives a dsi exception sometimes it just black screens and I need to pull the plug (WiiU does nothing when the power switch is pressed down)
  • custom ASPECT RATIO doesn’t save (you fixed resolution saving but messed up ratio saving???.. -.- )
  • Yoshis Island doesnt work. Well, it does but it goes from slow to slower… massive framerate issues. That’s all I’ve got so far. Sorry if this has been reported before but like I said, this is a pretty long thread so… Also, I don’t know if any of the nightlies fix any or all of those issues. I’d like to try them but I’m not sure how to do it. So I just download the latest and overwrite the 1.2.2 stable? And last but not least, could anyone tell me how to disable those annoying OSD that pop up every time I change core/game or connect a controller? resolution, controller etc… Thanks,

To try a nightly, you’ll need to overwrite the stable folder, yes, but you’ll also want to get rid of your old configs (stored in the top level of the SD), as they can cause issues.

For the messages, to go settings > onscreen display > Display OSD Message OFF

Well I just tried 1.6.0 (had not updated in a while and was pleasantly surprised to find a new version!), and everything seems to work great (lots of cores seem faster than before too!) but the only issue I found seems to be with audio for QSound and Neo Geo. Sounds like they are… Compressed? Dunno how to explain. High pitched whistle on all sample sounds on NeoGeo and all Qsound audio. This didn’t use to happen ao it must be some issue introduced later.

Hope you guys can fix it and thanks for your hard work.

1.6.0 is not saving any custom aspect ratio config. I tried thousand of methods and the aspect ratio always back to 640x480, I want save different resolution for every core. Thank you.

1 Like

Hello friends. Since version 1.6.8 the Spanish translation has been distorted with accented characters and the letter ñ. Greetings from Chile.

Hi, I would like to know: Is there a way to save different custom aspect ratios for each core? Because at the very least for the Wii version 1.7.0 I seem unable to.

Whenever I change it, save, and try another core, that aspect ratio will be used for every core, like if there was only one for the entire application. This was possible to do on old versions. What can I do?

Also, is there a way to not lock yourself out of controlling Retroarch when changing controllers on the Input menu? It has been incredibly annoying. When “None” is selected (even if it is not my intention) no controller will be able to navigate through Retroarch’s menu, and you need to forcibly exit Retroarch, or turn off the console, and then erase the config files to be able to navigate again.

I know this thread is pretty much dead and probably the Wii version has not much priority nowadays but…

Version: 1.7.0 Wii

Problem: When a Gamecube Controller is plugged into Port 0 on a Wii, the Gamecube controller will try to use port 0 on retroarch, but the Wiimote takes over and becomes Port 0, this happens over and over and most of the time eventually causes a crash, and by crash I mean full system lockup.

Steps

1. Have a Gamecube and Wiimote
  2. Plug in the GC controller
  3. Launch a ROM and there you go.

I must also note it is a Wii Motion Plus Controller.

Hello friends:

I have tried for a long time for a forwarder channel to open the retroarch application on the usb drive. But you can only open it if the location is from the SD card. I sincerely believe that the problem is in the application of Retroarch, because I have tried with several channels and even created their own.

Greetings.