V1.2 Wii Bug Reports

Post any bugs you may come across while using Retroarch Wii here. Be sure to note which version you’re using, documenting the issue as best you can. Instructions on how to replicate the bug are even better.

Please keep non-bug related conversation to a minimum so that devs can easily view issues as they arise.

1 Like

second that

Have at it :slight_smile:

Bug: v1.2 is not saving any custom aspect ratio config.

Bug: video output corruption after changing core several times.

A copy paste from the nightly discussion

V 1.2.1

Issue: The forwarder most of us have been using for years requires the main folder to be called retroarch-wii. If you leave it as Retroarch_1.2.1 and try to load from the forwarder, it’ll boot you back to the main menu.

Bug: Restart/Quit Retroarch functionality is still a little funky.

Bug: 240p mode has issues. Specially, I’m using 512x224p with SNES9x Next as my plasma can properly handle 240p images. The video looks fine, but the audio stutters and crackles.

Bug: I can’t replicate this issue, but I think between switching resolutions I screwed up the Billinear filter. Setting it to OFF made it look like it was on, and having it ON made it slightly more blurry.

Where do I find v1.2 to download?

https://buildbot.libretro.com

Bug: If launched through USB it corrupts the “playlist” folder inside “retroarch”.

Issue on loading rom

Device: Wii (normal) Version:1.2.2 -no nightly- Issue:

1.-Fresh install, delete my old retroarch.cfg file in SD:/retroarch/ folder 2.-Select a core: fceumm -> working 3.-Play with settings -> working 4.-Select a rom from Load Content -> Select file from browser in USB-> Not working, just a black screen 5.-Select a rom from Load Content -> Select file in USB and Detect core -> Working, play game

[QUOTE=askot;25787]Issue on loading rom

Device: Wii (normal) Version:1.2.2 -no nightly- Issue:

1.-Fresh install, delete my old retroarch.cfg file in SD:/retroarch/ folder 2.-Select a core: fceumm -> working 3.-Play with settings -> working 4.-Select a rom from Load Content -> Select file from browser in USB-> Not working, just a black screen 5.-Select a rom from Load Content -> Select file in USB and Detect core -> Working, play game[/QUOTE]

Same bugs found here but adding: 5.-Select core Nestopia and a rom from Load Content -> Select file in USB and Detect core -> Working but sound is garbled distorted. tested with rockman 2 Nestopia fails to load roms from USB if they are stored in a folder, they load from the root of USB however… It seem Nestopia has trouble loading JPN roms in general in this build. My roms are in folders 4-5 levels deep for compatibilty reasons and organizing rom genres. This was working 1.0.0.2. stable release without problems.

Forcing point filtering is inconsistent, most of the time it will revert back to bilinear. Could it be that point filtering is only active when selecting the cores optimal native resolution? ( it would make sense this way, when using the scanline overlay ) Cave story content missing ?, dinothaw content missing?, no game&wath emulator on Wii?

The issue pointed out with Nestopia and the sound is a Nestopia regression, I’ll have to ask tehcloud/threain to look into this since it has been there for a few months now and I never really got a satisfying answer to it.

Regarding Dinothawr: that has never been on the Wii, probably won’t be until we can downgrade it from C++11 to C++03 or lower.

Game & Watch - it’s likely this will appear in RetroArch 1.2.3.

Cave Story content - it’s expected you grab this yourself now instead of us bundling it.

Regarding USB file loading problems - I’ve never really tried loading from USB mass storage so I have no idea what is going on there, I’d have to ask ToadKing to look into it.

I tried 1.2.2 stable on a real Wii. I’m using a gamecube controller and when I try to remap a key (using the option “bind all” for example), it doesn’t detect any button press so I can’t choose the buttons I want, only the 2 sticks are detected at that moment.

1.2.2 -can load games from SD now, even if an USB device is attached, no black screen so far. -the video settings as 4:3 aren’t saved. They goes to default upon next boot, other settings doesn’t have this problem. -tested on vWii

That would be awesome, hate to lose proper USB loading from a folder tree, shame of the Nestopia regression concerning japanese roms hopefully this will be fixed in the near future. I also noticed that if I load and detect a core when I am allready on the expected core, RA gives a black screen, forcing to shut down the wii manually. Also restarting RA works only if I press the “enterbutton” (2 on Wiimote) on the restart RA option. If I then choose the option to shutdown and press “enter” to shut down RA, RA will magically restart. Also enabling visiblility of the overlay in the Rgui menu is only way to get point filtering going. Disabling Bilinear the normal way will not force to point filtering if the overlay is not visible in the menu ( I am using a scanline overlay ).

About Dinothaw, this is no problem, I was expecting it coming to Wii also , hopefully in the future? About Cavestory (doukutsu), this is also no problem, just confusing, as it always has been a part of previous major RA releases on Wii. But honestly enough, files for this game and the patching process to english is fairly straightforward and easy to find I guess.

another question about activating cheats on games: is it mandatory to have the cheat file properly named ( exactly after the rom file? ) to make these work?

Hopefully any surfacing bugs can be squashed without to much problem. For me personally being in my late 30’s, retroarch is the best thing, a dream coming true really in terms of gaming. Me and my family is going to a rough patch at the moment and Retroarch helps shifting thoughts… This alone justifies softmodding your Wii and turning it into a retro gaming powerhouse with a lot of controlling options. Thank you for this.

Did you connected the GC controller in the first port? Try the second port and see if the buttons are detected.

Video setting percore are only activated after you load arom in a core, I think… So upon loading a core you might think video setting are reset, whilst they are not upon loading an actual rom. ( tested on nestopia ) This can be a handy thing, as some cores use strange video setting make navigating for roms hard to do as text in the rgui also changes accordingly. But then agian, I could be wrong…

[QUOTE=Hielkenator;25821]Video setting percore are only activated after you load arom in a core, I think… So upon loading a core you might think video setting are reset, whilst they are not upon loading an actual rom. ( tested on nestopia ) This can be a handy thing, as some cores use strange video setting make navigating for roms hard to do as text in the rgui also changes accordingly. But then agian, I could be wrong…[/QUOTE] I tested a CPS2 game, per-core config ON, and the game still had about 8 lines overscan in the top, and 2 lines bottom, it defenitively is not saving custom ratio. I created a RetroArch forwarder to force 4:3 in the meantime (only Wii U though).

Yeah I had in the first port, now I tried the second and the others and the same happens.