V1.2 Wii Bug Reports

And are you able to navigate in the menus with the GC pad? Is this just in the assignment process? Is your pad original GC controller? in any other recent version working fine? (any previous nightly).

Rom loading on USB is working but not through Load Content -> Select file, but if itā€™s working from Load Content-> Select File And Detect Core.

Another issue: Like cucholix said after (re-) loading a rom (from Load History or Load Content) Aspect Relation (and probably any video config) is lost and you must setup everything again

Other issue: After you set Aspect Relation ->Custom (when you set (80,0) (640 x 480)) a ā€œCustom Viewport browser ā€¦ā€ appears after pressing back (push B)

Snes9xNext regression: -Selecting a SFX game (i.e. Star Fox), core option set to 60Mhz, has 50 FPS or below, in version 1.0.0.2 has 60 full FPS.

VBA Next regresion: -I test with a heavy game (Donkey Kong Country 2) before this game was on 53 FPS, now itā€™s on 47 FPS or below.

Maybe MSB_FIRST? I donā€™t know, just a hypothesis

Yes I can navigate the menus and play with no problems, this only occurs when assigning buttons. It is an original GC controller. Itā€™s not working in the recent nightlies. I also tried some random older ones from July and June including the oldest one I could find (June 1st) and the same problem is there. It works fine in 1.0.0.2.

[QUOTE=justjack;25837]Yes I can navigate the menus and play with no problems, this only occurs when assigning buttons. It is an original GC controller. Itā€™s not working in the recent nightlies. I also tried some random older ones from July and June including the oldest one I could find (June 1st) and the same problem is there. It works fine in 1.0.0.2.[/QUOTE]

I was able to test and yes, itā€™s not working the button assignament for GC pads. I also noticed that the hot plugin messages keep appearing iterating between wiimote and GC padā€¦

[QUOTE=askot;25833]Rom loading on USB is working but not through Load Content -> Select file, but if itā€™s working from Load Content-> Select File And Detect Core.

Another issue: Like cucholix said after (re-) loading a rom (from Load History or Load Content) Aspect Relation (and probably any video config) is lost and you must setup everything again

Other issue: After you set Aspect Relation ->Custom (when you set (80,0) (640 x 480)) a ā€œCustom Viewport browser ā€¦ā€ appears after pressing back (push B)

Snes9xNext regression: -Selecting a SFX game (i.e. Star Fox), core option set to 60Mhz, has 50 FPS or below, in version 1.0.0.2 has 60 full FPS.

VBA Next regresion: -I test with a heavy game (Donkey Kong Country 2) before this game was on 53 FPS, now itā€™s on 47 FPS or below.

Maybe MSB_FIRST? I donā€™t know, just a hypothesis[/QUOTE]

You do realize that overclocking the Super FX chip is going to create performance issues, right? The Wii canā€™t handle overclocked processors very well, if at all. And the GBA port of DKC 2, better off using the Snes version, but yes, the GBA core does need more tweaking.

I do, but devs worked so hard to release a port of snes9x-next since version 0.9.9 to make it enough playable at 60 FPS at Wii, do you remember that? and getting now 50 FPS or below constantly is a regression, right?

Butā€¦ If it worked well in 1.0.0.2, doesnā€™t that mean that at the very least, it does the job for Star Fox? I remember playing it quite a bit, even if I suck at that game BADLY.

I give you that touching the Mhz for games like Yoshiā€™s island is a bad idea, and indeed, it creates performance issues (And I discovered this by accident), but for Star Fox, the main game when one thinks about FX Chip, it works.

EDIT - By the way, iā€™ve been messing with 1.2.2 a little more, and I have a couple of things to report:

Nestopia still has problems with some games, like Star Tropics, and fan tranlsations of Konami games. With Star Tropics, for example, it tries to run the game, but without music, and seems to screw itself while trying to put a name to a save file.

I would comment about other issues but itā€™s already said itā€™s a regression, there is no point in that.

I also have some weird thing going on and Retroarch keeps telling me that the Game Cube controller is connected to Port 1 constantly. It happens with some cores more than others, like VBA Next. Maybe itā€™s something on my side, though (I use Classic Controller, while having GC controller connected for some games).

Lastly, I would like to ask two things:

• I saw you canā€™t edit video options (Or pretty much anything) while running a game, and if you want to change something you have to use Close Content first.

Is this how is going to work from this point on?

• I canā€™t seem to configure the screen like I was able to do in 1.0.0.2. When I load a game it puts itā€™s own aspect ratio. What could I be doing wrong?

Otherwise there are quite a few more options, which I like a lot.

Yes, RA keep showing that the GC pad as connecting and disconnecting, as you mentioned it happens often with heavy cores because by design the GC controller work per frame loop (vertical Retrace), so if the GC is read in between frames it will report as ā€œdisconnectedā€, try any light core like gambatte and disable Vsync and you will see how this happensā€¦ Iā€™m afraid that there is no fix for this except that a more efficient core is implemented for gba emulationā€¦

BTW, mgba is now available on Wii and it works pretty fineā€¦ is a bit slower that vba-next but it s a good start, Iā€™m pretty sure it has potential to be enhanced and it may tun aat full speed soonā€¦ I believe this because I removed vsync and it started running pretty fast compared of doing the same thing with vba-nextā€¦ so Iā€™m guessing there should be an easy way of make it work at 60 frames without issue.

[QUOTE=netux79;25916]Yes, RA keep showing that the GC pad as connecting and disconnecting, as you mentioned it happens often with heavy cores because by design the GC controller work per frame loop (vertical Retrace), so if the GC is read in between frames it will report as ā€œdisconnectedā€, try any light core like gambatte and disable Vsync and you will see how this happensā€¦ Iā€™m afraid that there is no fix for this except that a more efficient core is implemented for gba emulationā€¦

BTW, mgba is now available on Wii and it works pretty fineā€¦ is a bit slower that vba-next but it s a good start, Iā€™m pretty sure it has potential to be enhanced and it may tun aat full speed soonā€¦ I believe this because I removed vsync and it started running pretty fast compared of doing the same thing with vba-nextā€¦ so Iā€™m guessing there should be an easy way of make it work at 60 frames without issue.[/QUOTE]

ā€œA little bit slowerā€ is not how I would describe nearly every game running at 35/38fps vs. the same games well over 70-80 with VBA Next. Frankly Iā€™m shocked since I thought mGBA was going to be much faster than the fairly inefficient VBA, but I guess those judiciously applied "micro-optimizations " many are so disapproving of do seem to have helped somewhat :).

Well yes, It is slow, but I didnā€™t want it sound I was complainingā€¦ BTW, Twinaplex thanks for your hard work!!, Hey did you noticed that if you remove Vsync from vba-next it runs slower than mgba? Maybe there is something there that doesnā€™t allow mgba to run properly with vsync activated and it may be faster that vba-next if it gets fixedā€¦ also I noticed that it doesnā€™t look as it was using frame skipping :slight_smile:

Something I just noticed - CPS 1 and 2 cores have occasional sound judder/skipping. It doesnā€™t seem to be related to the framerate, as all of those games run fine without dropping frames. Another thing to note about this is that the judder happens even if nothing is going on - it doesnā€™t seem to be performance related. Also, consecutive loading of CPS-1 games cause retroarch to crash, even if you close your current game first.

I also noticed this visually in other cores like nestopia, itā€™s like the screen is vibratingā€¦ Sometimes is happens after pausing a game for a few minutes. Entering Rgui and resuming the game fixes this and video is like should. Also in 1.2.2 the sticking button bug is back sadlyā€¦ Any word of a ā€œusb loading from foldersā€ fix?

About the sound judder, unfortunately I noticed it in SNES9x as well. After messing around with some things, it seems like it has something to do with the VSYNC. If its set to ā€˜onā€™, I get the skipping. If its ā€˜offā€™, the problem seems to go away. Iā€™ve only noticed this on SNES, CPS1, and CPS2. Genesis and NES seem to be fine.

[QUOTE=netux79;25916]Yes, RA keep showing that the GC pad as connecting and disconnecting, as you mentioned it happens often with heavy cores because by design the GC controller work per frame loop (vertical Retrace), so if the GC is read in between frames it will report as ā€œdisconnectedā€, try any light core like gambatte and disable Vsync and you will see how this happensā€¦ Iā€™m afraid that there is no fix for this except that a more efficient core is implemented for gba emulationā€¦

BTW, mgba is now available on Wii and it works pretty fineā€¦ is a bit slower that vba-next but it s a good start, Iā€™m pretty sure it has potential to be enhanced and it may tun aat full speed soonā€¦ I believe this because I removed vsync and it started running pretty fast compared of doing the same thing with vba-nextā€¦ so Iā€™m guessing there should be an easy way of make it work at 60 frames without issue.[/QUOTE]

Interesting! Thank you for taking your time answering.

Actually, I saw there is an option to configure the Retroarch messages that pop in the screen, maybe when someone is annoyed by them he/she can just ā€œhide themā€ until something can be done.

About more GBA emulation improvements, itā€™s always a nice thing to hear.

Is there a thread specific to bug reporting for the GameCube build?

Second this ^

I also noticed this after going into rgui and back a few times. also noticed screen judder wich is fixed by entering rgui and going back to game. Very inconsistent never the less. Also noticed the sticking button bug in the 1.2.2. build. I did NOT notice it in the latest nightly buildā€¦

The overlay point filtering is fixed by reloading your content, wich is fine by me for now. on the other hand overlay options would be better if it were located in the quick menuā€¦

The only big thing I like to see fixed is proper usb loading ( from folders ). Now I am off playing againā€¦

This oneā€¦ itā€™s exactly the same code :slight_smile:

Interesting, Iā€™ve been testing it myself and despite being way slower than VBA Next I found something worth mentioning:

The Fire Emblem 8 main menu runs variably at 50~53 fps without audio enabled, with audio itā€™s around 40~43 fps. Loading it in mGBA with audio gives you around 35 fps, without audio? Absolute perfection, it NEVER dips, not even 59.8 fps So either the audio is too much for Wii currently or something related to it is clogging down speed by way too much since not even the bios runs at full speed. Disabling vsync tells me how much fps itā€™s actually hitting and it goes from about 68 to 73, quite impressive if you ask me, the only time Iā€™ve ever seen that menu full speed on Wii is with the demo emulator some GC games have. In any case I recommend disabling audio to get the best out of mGBA, I still havenā€™t found a GBA game that dips. And all the inaccuracies I had with VBA Next are gone here which is a big plus to me.

Unfortunately 32MB games seem to be failing to load, even though the dol size is like 1MB.

[QUOTE=Hielkenator;25939] Any word of a ā€œusb loading from foldersā€ fix?[/QUOTE]

What youā€™re suffering from is likely placebo. Nothing changed whatsoever in the input code from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2.

Please stop bringing this issue up, we donā€™t know what causes it and no Wii dev from outside cares enough to look into it so it is what it is. Iā€™ll be happily surprised if one of them eventually does come up with a fix, but I donā€™t think it can be fixed at this point.

Iā€™ll check if the framerate is correctly reported for those cores.

Regarding general syncing issues, I was experiencing this with the SNES core before release time but it went away after I set Audio Rate Control Delta to 0.00. I guess you might be on old configs where itā€™s still set to 0.05, if so, forcibly set it to 0.00 and save. I now get smooth v-sync and audio with SNES.

Iā€™ll check out the situation with CPS1/CPS2. CPS1 seemed alright with me but CPS2 could do with some improvement.

Anyway, the Wii is quite weak sauce hardware, and itā€™s a struggle to keep RA up-to-date for all future hardware while still keeping it performant enough for Wii. You have to realize really what a ridiculously insane task this all is to intend to keep everything up-to-date and keep performance levels stable at the same time.

Again, and I keep reiterating this, WE NEED MORE DEVS. WE NEED MORE DEVS. WE NEED MORE DEVS. I think by now itā€™s about time that these other ā€˜console scenesā€™ start participating to make things better, we take on an impossible workload here, we go to the insanity of keeping to support old obsolete hardware long after it has been abandoned, the least they could do is help us in this endeavor so that we can work together and improve this stuff in group effort. I can only lead a horse to water, but it has to decide itself to drink.