V1.2 Wii Bug Reports

OK then. The thread title doesn’t cover both bases which is why I asked. I understand they are from similar code bases, but the end products have subtle differences. Differences with their own bugs. So here it goes

• per-core config saving is happening for Wii, including resolution saving (big thumbs of from me on that btw). Graphics driver destabilisation issues already reported by others
  • per-core config saving is not happening for GC and for that reason neither is resolution saving. Similar graphics destabilisation also occurs on GC, somewhat randomly and hard to reproduce. (Color palette loses red/yellow, performance slows down with audio stutter).
  • over-sensitive/sticky button issue on GC aswell. Mainly affects rgui maneouver, gameplay seems fine. There also appears to be random rediscovery of controller input in rgui. What I mean by that is… while navigating some rgui menus (not related to input) “Gamecube controller detected on port #0” notice flashes up on screen.
  • screen res resets itself to 640x480i on rom switch for FBA cores for GC, Tends to stick for rom switch on Wii.
  • NeoGeo unibios can enabled on GC, but the same option is missing on Wii
  • FBA core sizes on GC have grown in size since the 1.0.0.2 stable release and thus have squeezed out many previously compatible roms I’m doing some regression testing, but this reduced compatibility in addition to newer features or fixes working on Wii but not seeming to work on GC makes it hard to justify use and more of a reason to stick with 1.0.0.2 on GC Which would be a big shame as there is much hope for progress on both.

[QUOTE=Twinaphex;25993]I’ll check if the framerate is correctly reported for those cores.

Regarding general syncing issues, I was experiencing this with the SNES core before release time but it went away after I set Audio Rate Control Delta to 0.00. I guess you might be on old configs where it’s still set to 0.05, if so, forcibly set it to 0.00 and save. I now get smooth v-sync and audio with SNES.

I’ll check out the situation with CPS1/CPS2. CPS1 seemed alright with me but CPS2 could do with some improvement.

Anyway, the Wii is quite weak sauce hardware, and it’s a struggle to keep RA up-to-date for all future hardware while still keeping it performant enough for Wii. You have to realize really what a ridiculously insane task this all is to intend to keep everything up-to-date and keep performance levels stable at the same time.

Again, and I keep reiterating this, WE NEED MORE DEVS. WE NEED MORE DEVS. WE NEED MORE DEVS. I think by now it’s about time that these other ‘console scenes’ start participating to make things better, we take on an impossible workload here, we go to the insanity of keeping to support old obsolete hardware long after it has been abandoned, the least they could do is help us in this endeavor so that we can work together and improve this stuff in group effort. I can only lead a horse to water, but it has to decide itself to drink.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Your solution to the audio skip worked for SNES, but I also found that changing the frequency to anything other than the default worked as well, specifically on the CPS-2 core. Everything is working great now, so thanks to everyone for all of the hard work!

Regarding this bug I reported earlier:

Bug: 240p mode has issues. Specially, I’m using 512x224p with SNES9x Next as my plasma can properly handle 240p images. The video looks fine, but the audio stutters and crackles.

Still had the issue after changing Audio Rate Control Delta. I believe I’ve tracked the problem down to something wrong with VSync. With it turned off the audio stuttering immediately goes away. Tested with multiple games.

[QUOTE=jmckutchin;26009]Regarding this bug I reported earlier:

Bug: 240p mode has issues. Specially, I’m using 512x224p with SNES9x Next as my plasma can properly handle 240p images. The video looks fine, but the audio stutters and crackles.

Still had the issue after changing Audio Rate Control Delta. I believe I’ve tracked the problem down to something wrong with VSync. With it turned off the audio stuttering immediately goes away. Tested with multiple games.[/QUOTE]

Did you try changing the audio latency? That’s what fixed the stutter for me.

Latest nightly 2015-07-25_RetroArch fixed usb loading (load content -> select file), if merged with retroarch 1.2.2 everything seems to work pretty normal.

I tried futzing with several different audio options but in the end the only thing that worked was turning off VSync. Again, this is only for 512x224p. 512x448p is fine.

Confirmed here also, awesome it got fixed to quickly!

Just another note: is/was resolution and ratio per core, planned/implemented? as of now the resolution is saved per core as the ratio is sadly not.

Using the excellent stickied guide about how to set resolution and ratio properly on a per core basis ( to get proper quare pixels and perfect scanlines with point filtering ) is would be awesome to have this saved after entering once. Now I have to enter values manually again and again even for every core and even for every game I load, with turns out to be a drag after about 10 games or so…( For instance VBA-Next core ).

Just confirming this also.

[QUOTE=Hielkenator;26101]Confirmed here also, awesome it got fixed to quickly!

Just another note: is/was resolution and ratio per core, planned/implemented? as of now the resolution is saved per core as the ratio is sadly not.

Using the excellent stickied guide about how to set resolution and ratio properly on a per core basis ( to get proper quare pixels and perfect scanlines with point filtering ) is would be awesome to have this saved after entering once. Now I have to enter values manually again and again even for every core and even for every game I load, with turns out to be a drag after about 10 games or so…( For instance VBA-Next core ).[/QUOTE]

I think both should work… in the case of the ratio there may be a bug that is making RA not to save it as I think it was working on old versions. It simply needs to be reported so they fix it.

Hi, I’ve tested 1.2.2 wii for a few days and here are the results.

1. Two MSX core doesn’t work at all (.zip or .rom)
  2. Cannot set custom resolution (eg. 256*224 for Bubble Bobble)
  3. Unibios on FBA NeoGeo core?
  4. Unstable key config menu (sometimes wii freezes)

So, given the Wii’s weak hardware, the lack of developers and testers, what does the future hold for RA? Will there ever be a port for the Wii U once that’s cracked open?

It depends. If all it takes is adding some rules to a makefile, we can port it over without actually needing the hardware. If it’s more than that, we’ll need access to a wii u to make it happen.

Personally, I would like it, since wii u actually has opengl, IIRC, so shaders should work.

I’m using nightly version from yesterday build. None of the 7 Supergrafx games wont load neither way. I’m on wii.

Also, I’ve tested some japanese pcengine games that requires arcade card and i’m glad that worked (not perfectly, but anyways…). I want to know if i run a game that not requires arcade card, but enhance if used, the game will use arcade card built in emulator.

Any game boy advance core (vba next, mednafen gba, mgba) wont load 32 mb roms, it takes back to homebrew channel after a black screen. Fceumm has corrupted/garbled sprites since nightly build from August 4th.

Sorry, I forgot to report issues here.

Does mednafen gba works at all? Mgba is my favorite now (can even modify input from the quick menu) runs Megaman Zero at 59fps at parts that VBA drops to 43fps. I can’t too, load roms from usb.

Mednafen-gba is just a very old snapshot of regular VBA. There’s no reason to use it over newer snapshots or mgba.

Bug report here, using the Snes9x Next core in 1.2.2. So, when I loaded it, it didn’t pick up my Classic Controller, so I pressed A on the Wii remote to get it to detect, and it did. However, when I try to navigate, the damn help information window pops up, I can only go up or down (with the + an - buttons?? WTF?) But I can’t confirm folders or select ANYTHING. I mean, what the hell?

Oh and when I load RA back up, it’s stuck at the Snes9x Next core, I can’t change the core, it’s stuck and I can’t navigate to a new one and change it. What a joke this is, i thought 1.2.2 would be better, back to 1.0.0.2 it is, at least I can navigate with the classic controller on that version -_-

Did you delete your old configs? When I first upgraded, my buttons got all jacked up because I had old configs that conflicted. Once I deleted them and started over, everything was fine.

I thought I did, I’ll need to see, but it still doesn’t work, I give up, plain and simple. What happened is that it kept popping up that my Wii remote was now connected, I could navigate, but like you said, buttons were wrongly mapped. Will test now and report back ASAP. I assume I need to delete all the config files, even the ones for the main RetroArch GUI?

Edit: I loaded a game, exited, and went back in, it remembered the resolution and directory, though I wish it didn’t have those “Input” and “Resolution 0 x 0” notifications pop up, they are a bit distracting. Any way to get rid of them?

Yeah, delete the ones in the root of your SD card. You can turn off the onscreen messages in settings > onscreen display > display OSD Message OFF.