VBA; Tilt, Rumble and Solar Sensor?

Hello, I’m curious to know if these features are ported to the VBA core and in which form.

Thanks.

I don’t think any of the GBA cores support this at the moment. There are romhacks for the tilt/solar games to make them playable, although that’s not an ideal solution.

hmm, my fears exactly, and at the same time strange since these were dealt way back on other ports. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Visual_Boy_Advance_GX

I guess Game Link (2P support) is not implemented right?

mGBA looks like the emulator to watch for for these features. The author has tweeted out shots of solor sensor settings and multi-pak link support. He says he wants to do a libretro version in the future too.

That’s great. I wonder, 2 players mode in handhelds have never been a thing in emulation right? or is it that it just haven’t been ported to retroarch cores as the other features on the thread title?

There’s a version of VBA called VBALink that has done it, but none of the RetroArch cores have implemented that feature yet as far as I know. Hopefully when mGBA is libretro-ized that feature comes over.

For “link-cable” emulation, the only alternatives are:

• netplay
  • dual instances
  • single emulator that can run two games at once

I think dual instance may be a feature of libretro v2, not sure when will that get frontend support Netplay should be feasible, the idea we have discussed is implementing core based netplay by using the environmnent settings from the netplay menu and then letting the core handle the connection. This could work for link-cable scenarios, PPSSPP ad-hoc, and even for server based netplay (tyrquake could benefit of that)

The third alternative is implemented in TGB dual only, but so far it can only run the same game. There is already a subsystem interface to allow loading of more than one file per-core but it hasn’t been implemented by the frontend yet, that would allow TGB dual to run 2 different games in a single system)

I was thinking on games that play on the same screen, which is something I don’t know if actually happens. Like say a tennis game or something, if it’s not the same screen I guess dual screen would be a must… netplay is for no-local multiplayer which wasn’t exactly what I had on mind, I guess in that case I would be battling more with net hindrances than any other thing.

edit: btw, do you know where to get updated mame/ume/mess cores? I recall there was a talk about that concerning their size on the nightlies downloads.

If something is implemented like on TGB we could just hide the second screen. For this kind of stuff there is no silver bullet and we depend on core support first anyway

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/win-x86_64/latest/

If it’s not there then it’s not building.