Video / Arcade Cabinet / Lakka-Libretro nightly Cores

Hello!

I’ve made a Video about RetroArch:

I’m currently building an Arcade Cabinet with a old PC/Monitor, Arcade Stick and Lakka as Frontend. :slight_smile: Maybe i make a Video when the Cabinet is finished.

And i have a hint. If you use the PC image of Lakka (x86 and x64) you can use the libretro/nightly/linux Cores to add more Emulators! http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/

hf, -sk1re-

Would be much better to use an actual arcade monitor instead of a PC one. Or even a good SD CRT TV that has Scart or Component input, although this requires a device to convert the Scart into component since USA TVs don’t have Scart. VGA PC Monitors lack the proper look as they are more like a dotmatrix preferable for DOS.

PC monitors look fine, IMO. They don’t look the same, obviously, but they still look quite nice: The bigger issue, IMO, is that most are 15", which is quite small for an arcade monitor, which were 19" on the small end and more commonly 25" or even 29".

Is that screenshot using any shader? But yeah it’s definitely better than flatscreens, for sure.

No shader. That’s just native res on one of my CRTs.

I didn’t mention in the previous post that actual arcade monitors are a pain in the ass to keep up, too. The TV route is probably easier/cheaper, but either way you do it, you need to be careful that you only feed them 15 khz signals because the 31 khz signals that normally come out of a PC can damage some TVs and arcade monitors. Even if you have it start pumping out 15 khz signals as soon as the OS loads, the BIOS signal is going to be 31 khz. This is another convenience of going with a CRT PC monitor.

I have a J-PAC in my cabinet that blocks out 31 khz signals and converts JAMMA inputs to keyboard events. The other option is to use an old video card that has a TV output but, in my experience, you can never actually push out native res through them, it’ll always be your normal PC res (typically at least 800x600) crunched down in hardware to 480i. It still looks good but it’s a little blurry and the interlacing means you pretty much never see the gaps between the scanlines.

I haven’t gotten a chance to buy these yet, but it was the plan. This is the device I mentioned. You have to get it with the 15Khz dongle option to access the resolutions with your GPU I think. Should work great.

http://arcadeforge.net/UMSA/UMSA-Ultimate-SCART-Adapter::57.html

Then you just use one of these to convert the Scart to component on the TV, if there is no Scart component input… http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-Scaler-/221156873851?hash=item337dfa167b:m:mL77q83PIBdVHyF2RvMlcww

PC CRTs are great. The only thing you need to do is keep the vertical resolution at 480px and run a scanline shader to halve it. (interlacing.cg with brightness at 0) And if you want, you can use other shaders to lower the apparent resolution, if you want to simulate a low-res CRT. (crt-easymode) That’s not a look I personally want though. [ul][li]Upscaled [/li][li]Scanlines [/li][li]Low-Res[/ul] [/li]If you get an aperture-grille monitor, it’s basically going to be the same quality as a Sony PVM or BVM since they were designed to display much higher resolutions.