VirtualJaguar Core - Bios Filename Question

Hi,

I want to try out Atari Jaguar Emulation in [B]LIbretro/Retroarch.

[/B]I am using almost the latest Nightly (14th Oct) with almost the latest VirtualJaguar core (14th Oct). But I can’t launch any games, whenever I try Retroarch quits itself.

I am assuming the Bios is missing but I don’t know what to call the file so it gets recognized. I was not able to find any help on the Internet regarding this issue. I found one thread on hyperspin.com/forum discussing Retroarch-Virtualjaguar and that’s it. Emulation-General Wiki only lists the bios filenames for Mednafen-PSX.

I hope someone can help me out,

Thanks

gbk666

It doesn’t require a BIOS, AFAIK: http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Virtual_Jaguar But the latest builds on the buildbot fail to load at least some games (not sure why, but Rayman won’t load).

I get the same thing. I don’t know what you’re trying to play so here’s a list for known game issues. http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Atari_Jaguar_Core_Compatibility

I’ll share my experiments. I’m able to load some games. Some games I couldn’t load initially… can be loaded again with few more tries. RetroArch kept quitting on me too. Keep trying with some more different games… and try opening both raw files and zipped files. See if you can load Try Fight for Life or Bubsy.

Also, notice the link hunterk gave you… The feature support for jaguar core right now is very slim (ie not polished much). I would guess that the jaguar core is not fully ready and still need some more work/support.

Later versions of the core are broken.

Use an older version, i use this one:

This will run Rayman perfectly. But still, don’t expect all games to run well. Jaguar emulation is still pretty bad.

I wanted to try the Libretro Core of VirtualJaguar because the standalone crashes fairly often on Rayman (which is in my opinion the only game worth it with maybe alien vs predator). Maybe in Retroarch it is more stable. But how should it be different if the emulation code is the same? Silly me.

Thanks for the response guys.

It’s really a shame there’s no way to use the BIOS for this core/system. One of the most awesome, but secondary, features of an emulator is the ability to pull up the BIOS boot screens.

Sure it sounds silly, but when you get to see:

PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD.

at the start of a game… there’s a near palpable sense of nostalgia.

That all being said, I use an old core just like GemaH for Jaguar.

I also use an old one for PSP (no error screen) and one for Mupen64 (Castlevania games have broken graphics in newest ones)