Vulkan - NVIDIA SHIELD TV - double buffering issue

Hi,

First post so hi everybody and thank you very much to all people that makes libretro/retroarch possible!

I have been experimenting wit all available options to reduce input lag. Setting max swapchains to 2 (double buffering) should help. However, when doing this, framerate halves. It’s not core dependant, happens in RetroArch menu already. I’m using a NVIDIA SHIELD TV with Vulkan drivers and Retroarch 1.7.3

I have found an entry in GitHub that seems to describe the same issue:

Is this really a driver issue and we need to wait fro NVIDIA to fix it? or can something be done at Libretro side? Thanks!

This has been an issue for me with Tablet K1. I have to turn off vsync to have visible 60fps for my cores while having max swapchains to 2. The menu is also down to 30fps for mine on Vulkan. It still happens for many months.

I have also noticed that while in some cores (snes9x) there seems to be an improvement in performance (although very slight) in some others, Vulkan actually performs worse. For instance:

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike, wiht Run Ahead set to 1 in Vulkan has dips to the low 50 fps. In Open GL stays stable at 60 and reaches 70-80 fps when vsync and audio sync off ( so there is still some room)

Shadow Dancer has a similar behavior and also some Kaneko games (Cyvern) that run some 25fps slower in Vulkan