Vulkan performance reporting thread

Hi,

I don’t know if I’m posting at the right place, but I tested the Vulkan video driver yesterday on a laptop computer running Arch Linux with Intel Ivy Bridge (HD 4000 I guess) and I have been really disappointed with the performance. I tried Aladin on Genesis Plus GX and the framerate was not smooth at all, compared to the same game and core running with the GL video driver which is perfectly smooth. I did not use any shader nor overlay, nothing.

Is this the expected behavior regarding current Intel video driver state on Linux, or did I do something wrong ? How’s your experience with Vulkan on intel IGP on Linux with Retroarch ?

I’ve got an Ivy Bridge / HD4000 NUC and can confirm that Vulkan does indeed suck on it. To reduce suck I recommend using Mesa git, but even then it’s not as smooth as GLX or KMS. From what I can tell it seems like it’s not doing proper v-sync.

That’s correct. Ivy bridge vulkan isn’t great at the moment and intel isn’t really investing much into improving it, so that’s not likely to change, despite some really great effort by jekstrand.

Only on ivy or same issue with above processors like braswell ? I have pre-ordered an udoo x86 and i’m kinda anxious after reading you :s.

newer IGPs are in better shape, yes.

Thanks for your answers. :slight_smile: the best “workaround” I can get on Linux is to use OpenGL with KMS/DRM (RA does not launch on KMS if I try to use Vulkan). And I am fully satisfied with the performance and the low input lag. :slight_smile:

Yeah, vulkan has its own KMS-like environment that we would like to support at some point but I don’t know if the current drivers are even there yet.

I’m upping this topic since Intel released an updated Vulkan driver (see : http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Vulkan-Relocations-Boost ) which is said to be faster than OpenGL ; I tried it on Arch Linux on Retroarch and performance is much much better than before. :slight_smile: