Want to set multiple controllers to a single input

This is gonna be an odd one, so I’ll understand if anyone gets confused. Please ask for clarification if you’re uncertain about any specific element of this issue.

I have just set up a new USB encoder, an Ultimarc Mini-pac, and a new 2P joystick, an Ultimarc 360FS, in my arcade cabinet. If that sounds weird, it is - the 360FS was meant to be an additional component, but space issues necessitate reconsidering my approach with it so in order to utilize the 360FS in the meantime, I decided to see if I could use it temporarily(or permanently if my friends don’t mind it) as a second player joystick.

Now, the 360FS has it’s own USB connection separate from the Mini-pac, so it comes in as two separate devices. Is there any way I can force Retroarch to set the 360FS as a joystick and the Mini-pac for the button inputs?

The mini-Pac in Xinput mode reads as two separate gamepads, but only one has a joystick connected to the appropriate inputs. This is where the problem comes in - when I had it in Dinput mode I was able to map everything however I preferred. Now it does not work.

I am using a Windows 10 PC and have to use Xinput to get it to reliably work with Steam games(like Guilty Gear Xrd), thus the arrangement outlined above.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

1 Like

You should be able to make an autoconfig profile for it that maps it as you like and then go to quick menu > controls > port X controls (where X is whichever port it puts it into) and then look for “mapped port” and set it to port 2, and do the same thing for the device that has the buttons.

How do I make an autoconfig profile? I have never had to do this before. I suspect there is some helpful documentation on this, but the Libreto documentation is not the easiest thing to sift through. (it is VERY helpful once you find what you need, it’s just not always easy to find what you need)

check this doc: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/controller-autoconfiguration/#generating-a-joypad-profile

This all seems to still depend on everything being on a single input device. I don’t see anything there that indicates how to put two devices on the singular input…

That’s the part that puts them on the same port. You’ll have to do it per-core, but it’s the only mechanism I know of to overlap more than one physical device onto the retropad.

There is no “mapped port” options in the Controls section under the quick menu when I check. Just a list of inputs to map.

EDIT: I have found a workaround using X360CE, but I prefer to do things natively whenever it is possible.

it’s this thing:

The option is not there.

ah, looks like you’re using a very old RetroArch version (nearly 2 yrs old): image

Update to get the ‘mapped port’ option.

Nearly 2 years? This PC has only been running for one. And I’ve updated RA twice in that time.

And after saying that to myself I looked and found the updates didn’t install to the same place as the original install.

So I sorted things out, pointed the shortcuts to the correct installation, and…

I still don’t get it. I found the section, but I can still only select one of the two devices at a time for the player 2 input. It has to be what’s mapped to one port or another.

If the devices are all recognized, they should get allocated to p1, p2 and p3 overall (that is, in the device index field in settings > input > port 1/2/3 controls). Once this is in place, you can then go into the corresponding port controls in quick menu > controls and change what its “mapped port” value is.

So, if A isn’t happening, B can’t either. Part A is where you may need to set up an autoconfig profile.

I’ve been looking for doing the same things for YEARS now, so if you find something I’ll be very interested.

I had found a little tweak a couple of years ago. It was with an app (don’t remember the name, I’ll try to search tomorrow) that was able to simulate 2 fake xinput controllers. That app was supposed to make you bind keyboard inputs to a fake controller, but allowed you to use the controler to and multiinput. So what I did was just reconfiguring everything right there, let’s say that I had to use A on fake controller 1, then what I did was bind it wis the A on real controller 1 and 2, and they both worked at the same time. But it was a little bit unresponsive so I stopped using it.

You might also be looking on the apps used for Xinput steering wheels, some people need to make various different xinput work on only one signal (to be able to play games) so you can find some tools that do the same thing on internet (but once again, I don’t have any name in mind, I’m sorry)

Blockquote If the devices are all recognized, they should get allocated to p1, p2 and p3 overall (that is, in the device index field in settings > input > port 1/2/3 controls). Once this is in place, you can then go into the corresponding port controls in quick menu > controls and change what its “mapped port” value is.

This is where I’m lost. It will only let me set what I have mapped to Port 2 or Port 3 into the input for Port 2 in the section you’ve directed me to. I need them BOTH to map to Port 2.

Blockquote It was with an app (don’t remember the name, I’ll try to search tomorrow) that was able to simulate 2 fake xinput controllers.

This is the workaround I mentioned earlier - X360CE(XBox360 Controller Emulator) allows me to take the two separate devices and map them to a single emulated xinput device. The only reason I’m looking into doing this natively is because I don’t like having extra processes running if I don’t need to.

dunno what to tell you. Here’s me putting port 2 and port 3 both mapped to port 2:

I used X360CE a lot, and it was another tool… but I don’t remember the name now, the difference with X360CE is that it had some really noticeable input delay after some time running.

My computer is running inside an arcade cabinet, so I’m always running 2 xInput controllers (panel) and wanted to be able to overwrite those players with people connecting online (Parsec) or with a controller, but I’ve never been able to do so properly, I apologise.

It only lets me use one or the other. I set it to 2, I get functional buttons but no joystick. I set it to 3, I get functional joystick but no buttons.

I used X360CE a lot, and it was another tool… but I don’t remember the name now, the difference with X360CE is that it had some really noticeable input delay after some time running.

My computer is running inside an arcade cabinet, so I’m always running 2 xInput controllers (panel) and wanted to be able to overwrite those players with people connecting online (Parsec) or with a controller, but I’ve never been able to do so properly, I apologise.

Mine’s in an arcade cabinet as well. X360CE seems to work sufficiently, I just wish this would work the way hunterk indicates it should.

What Hunterk said works only with Retroarch, I think you would also like to get it through steam games isn’t it?