Web Games (Flash) in Retroarch?

These people are given the task of preserving flash games, after the release of Adobe Flash. Although there are low quality games this is part of the story, and there are some epics. It is currently only available on Windows. It would be interesting to have a core in retroarch. :wink:

+info: 36,000 Flash Games Have Been Archived and Saved…

Is there source available for Flashpoint? If so, what’s the license?

The source is available, but as the FAQ states here, the actual binary plugins/player of the flash games comes from closed source. If anything were to be libretro-ized it would have to be some other open source flash player like lightspark.

1 Like

The license is MIT

If anything were to be libretro-ized it would have to be some other open source flash player like lightspark.

It can’t be included? But is it the only way? It can be used as an external package, Wine style, or used similar to a Bios.

It seems the actual flash player part of it is proprietary and it is only the launcher that is open.

Yes, I understand that they use the official adobe plugin. My Doubt is. Can these plugins be used in the same way as the Bios of a console?

Update -> Internet Archive is emulating flash with ruffle and has a huge library.

I’m interested in seeing Flash emulated as well on RA. Replaying classics such as Pico’s School and Alien Hominid. I remember Newgrounds.com being the place to be for flash content back in the 2000’s.

Hello guys, I know this is an old thread but I was going to ask a question that this thread pertains to. I forget if it’s proper to keep to an existing thread, albeit an old one or if it’s more appropriate to start a new one.

I liked flash games when I was younger and I do play them through flashpoint, but some of those games lack a save feature, the original save feature doesn’t seem to work in flashpoint, or they are just really hard without a save feature. I love Retroarch because of it’s save state abilities and I just recently figured out how to emulate windows 98 in Retroarch.

Is it possible to play a flash, shockwave, java, or any type of old, online web game in Retroarch through an emulated PC? For example Windows 98 through dosbox pure, then an adobe flash program, then the .swf file. How would Retroarch manage multiple programs running (the adobe flash program and the .swf game file) in one core (this being dosbox pure)? Can Windows 98 run any adobe flash or do I need to find some kind of adobe flash that was compatible with windows 98?

I just tried it.

1. I asked the people at flashpoint, they showed me this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player#Desktop_platforms
  2. I downloaded adobe 9.0.289.0 as that was the last flash player for windows 98 (which I got installed)
  3. I went through the steps of loading content
  4. Choosing the flash zip
  5. Choosing the installed operating system windows 98 and setting it to auto start
  6. Installing it on my windows 98
  7. Taking a .swf flash file for a flash game
  8. Compressing it as a zip file
  9. Load content
  10. Choosing the zipped .swf file
  11. Chose the installed operating system windows 98 set to auto start
  12. clicked on the program in d drive and it ran.

It was very slow however, any thoughts? Maybe the flash game is too new for windows 98.

They told me at flashpoint flash player 9 doesn’t have something called “hardware acceleration”

You did all that by yourself?
Good thing you’re a slow learner. :rofl:

You can ask anywhere you want, as long as it’s related. Also, I think Windows on PURE is the only option we have to play flash on RetroArch.

All the steps are correct, I would only recommend you not to activate the autostart, when you are going to install a program, because you are going to use it only once and it creates a zip file in the save folder, which only has the autostart. Games, on the other hand, do, because they run constantly.

It is good to keep in mind that Flash is a browser plugin and in later versions included a simple player for .swf files.

They are WEB games and some games needed server side data and they don’t work if you run the .swf. I don’t know how archive.org does to play all that.

Hardware acceleration is the ability to use the GPU of the video card to process 2D or 3D images. Now that’s very common, it used to be a novelty.

I didn’t really remember if Flash supported Hardware Acceleration, it seems that it does, since 10, and version 11 is the ideal, it is very optimized.

It’s normal that they get slow. The first games were fast, very small and simple then they grew with acceleration could handle more graphics.

So, I would recommend you to try to install the flash 11 version, even if it is not compatible with w98, sometimes it allows you to install it (I should try it).

From archive you can download about 50 thousand, all released, most of them are pretty stinky, but others are hidden gems, there are even deluxe versions of NFS, which are distributed for free.

I just tried flash 10 and 11 and I got the message they “expect a newer version of windows” so that’s a no on those working.

Did I read correctly that I don’t need files in the save folder that aren’t games, I got a voodoo graphics file for when I installed voodoo graphics, I also have a disk01_1.mcd and a disk01_2.mcd that I’m pretty sure is an installation disk for an operating system I either already set up or failed at. I’m going to assume I do need the windows 98.srm and .sav correct?

Yes, it is normal, but there are ways to install these programs. Extracting the files and placing them in the corresponding places in Windows. It is something relatively complicated.

Flash does not require installation, but maybe it saves some kind of “score”, it depends on the game.

I’m not sure what you mean by everything else:

The drivers are installed only once, you won’t need it anymore.

disk01_1.mcd and a disk01_2.mcd, I have no idea what they are.

“windows 98.srm”? did you install windows on snes9x? :rofl:

the sav’s are… the savs. i think we’ve talked about this enough.

I really don’t understand what the doubt is.

There is this promising core but I am not sure it is ready yet.

2 Likes

I got the idea from this statement that any files in the save folder that aren’t games are unnecessary and just a waste of space, the files I mentioned are such files that aren’t games but are programs that

So I was just making sure it was okay to delete them. I’m pretty sure the disk files are files for an operating system I tried to setup, I went through a bit of trial and error before I got a working windows 98 system.

I do have snes9x but I assure you I installed windows 98 in dosbox pure. I assumed retroarch created those files, I also assume I shouldn’t delete anything called windows 98 in the save folder, I’m not trying to talk to be an annoyance, I just want to make sure I understand things. The more I understand the better I become.

Oh that looks interesting, I can’t wait. There are some flash games that are really annoying due to poor save features and I hope save states are incorporated in that core.

Ruffle, How nice! From what I understand, it’s the best opensource flash and it’s the one that archive uses to play.
For now I don’t see any core archive, but hopefully it works. The amount of games Flash has is almost vulgar and all of them are free.

OK. When you load a “anygame.zip” file it will instantly create a anygame.sav with the same name.
Correction: the .sav is created only when you install, or modify the D: disk.

If it is a game (or program) that you are going to use, don’t delete the .sav. It will create itself every time you open the game and it is possible that it will save the progress and score there.

When you install Windows, then the drivers, directx, etc. They are installed in the disk C: in an .img inside System, obviously this cannot be deleted. The sav files that are created instantly in the process can be deleted.

In addition to this, when you activate the SET AUTO START option, a .zip file with the same name is created, “next to .sav” that file has inside it the selection you just made.

Earlier I was referring to the fact that, to install windows or a driver you do not activate Auto Start, because it is a one-time operation. It is not necessary.

I guess! The image form “.mcd” is a macOS file, (looks like PSX too).

the .srm is a save file of something from Nintendo, GameBoy? I don’t know, I’m ignorant of these formats.