What causes joypad input to occasionally stop working?

Every once in a while, after alt-tabbing once too many or hitting the wrong key or something, Retroarch stops recognizing joypad input. Doesn’t matter if I restart the app, or turn off/on the pad, or delete the config file, or whatever. It’s done. The joypad still works in everything else. And the only way this ever gets resolved is if I reboot. For whatever reason, that satisfies Retroarch.

I have no guesses.

Edit: I see this is a known issue: Controller not working in retroarch interface

One person says he identified the problem as Retroarch finding something besides the joypad to latch onto as the input device. In my case, I cannot imagine what that may be, but rebooting every time this happens is just not an option for me, so I have to wonder if there’s a way to ensure Retroarch will specifically recognize my pad of choice as the correct xinput device.

Have you tried switching the input driver to RAW? I had some strange controller issues and doing that solved them for me.

I’ll try that next time, thanks.

I also determined that unplugging the wireless receiver and plugging it back in will occasionally force Retroarch to re-recognize the correct device. Not always.