What happened to PPSSPP and Beetle-PSX?

I’ve been checking out the nightly Windows builds on and off for awhile now, and I’m always happy to see cores getting new options and increased accuracy and Retroarch gaining more features itself. However, there have been a couple of odd absences in the more recent builds: the PPSSPP and Beetle-PSX libretro cores.

I see that the PPSSPP core has been updated constantly each day still. However, the most recent build for it is still from 2014. Is there a reason why the buildbot isn’t making this core? Is something about it not ready for public consumption? Is it just a mistake? Or is it something else? I was going to ask about MAME and its derivatives, as well, but it seems that updated libretro cores have been made for those in the last few days. I’d be pretty happy to have an updated version of PPSSPP to mess around with in Retroarch, especially now that version 1.0 is out.

Beetle-PSX is the more foreboding absence, though. Ever since I made light of the core’s severe graphics rendering issues, no work has been done on it. I can understand why a new core wouldn’t be built for it in this case, but the fact that nothing has been done with it spells some more ominous things out for me. Is Beetle-PSX dead or on life support? If so, that’s a real shame. I would have been ecstatic to use an emulator for the original PlayStation, libretro or otherwise, that had the accuracy of Mednafen-PSX and the feature set of something like PCSX or ePSXe.

My apologies if this topic is unnecessary or seen as being impatient, I don’t mean to be either of these things. It’s just that the complete radio silence on these things makes me curious as to what’s going on with them.

There is no makefile for windows, so I can’t add PPSSPP to the buildbot. Every time I have to go over the MSVC solution make sure it builds, include/exclude stuff and build manually. Beetle-PSX is experimental and it’s on a hiatus. Mednafen PSX is the most up to date version available. I think it’s a bit behind mainline mednanfen psx but nothing really important

That sounds like a pain for PPSSPP. Still, I hope we can check out at least one more updated build of it in the future ( version 1.0.1 or later) before the next major Retroarch release.

As for Beetle-PSX, that’s about what I was expecting. I’ve been using Mednafen-PSX ever since I added PSone games to my home media center. It’s been fully functional. I guess I just got a bit excited when I saw that Beetle-PSX had the widescreen option ported to it from PCSX(-R/ReARMed). It sounds like it has the potential to be the best-ever solution for PlayStation emulation in the future.