What I've done to get Classic Controller to work

Okay, so I’ve been doing some experimenting and trying to come up with a way to manually configure my non-motion plus Wii remote/Classic Controller to RetroArch 1.2. Well, the good news is I can easily edit the config files, the bad news is I believe I’m incorrectly mapping the buttons. Where I think the corresponding Clcassic Controller buttons are likely referring to somewhere else in the config files, I don’t know where the emulator is looking for the bound keys. For example, the layout of the config files seems a bit daunting, as I’m unable to figure out what goes with what, or if I’m even assigning the correct mappings to the right buttons, I don’t know, I just mucked around guessing more than half the time, but the fact I was able to load the config file I wanted was easy enough to do.

Sample of the text document, using notepad++ to edit it:

input_player1_b = “z” - Why is this called Z input_player1_b_btn = “17” Is that how the Classic Controller labels it in hexadecimal? If so then 17 in numerical would be 10 in hex as it comes after 0F. IDK lol. input_player1_b_axis = “nul” - B button axis? Why is that vital? I don’t know that lol. input_player1_y = “a” input_player1_y_btn = “16” input_player1_y_axis = “nul”

The values I guessed on as I don’t know how to actually map the config file manually. PEBKAC errors abound.

The part where it says “z” when it’s the b button, or the b button axis, that’s the part that’s throwing me off. Top that off with the fact that I don’t know if the input should be Android or HID, whether Retropad or Retropad_keyboard, and auto_config is enabled for the input. I have tried many things, editing the files like I mentioned, syncing the Wii remote/CC with the right app and then loading up RetroArch 1.2, the the IME type is WiiRemoteIME via the controller app, so it is indeed the right one to use as every other emulator I have works with it fine. I know my controller isn’t the issue as I’m on Android 4.1.2 (the device is rooted with two Android OSes on it). I don’t know what it is I’m doing wrong, as the Wii remote support is there, it has to be done manually, which I’ve no problem is, and I need some help on making sure I set up all the input device settings correctly on the emulator, so I don’t screw it up; I get the impression that my issue is very easy to resolve as I feel really close. Is there an app I can find that tells me what the values are, like something to calibrate the Wii Classic Controller so I can change the core configuration to actually accept my Wii remote input? Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re best off writing an autoconfig file as per these instructions instead of trying to edit the cfg blindly: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806

[QUOTE=hunterk;25025]You’re best off writing an autoconfig file as per these instructions instead of trying to edit the cfg blindly: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for the thread link :3 Now, uh, how do I actually place the auto_config file in the right folder as there is a bit of a caveat with how things are on my Nexus 7 folder. So obviously, the configs are stored in Android/Data/RetroArch folder (whatever it’s called), and despite having superuser access due to being rooted, I can’t access the folder on Windows. However, using ES File Explorer, I can and I see all the per config settings, so I guess what I’m trying to ask is where do I place the newly-created auto config file? Can I just place it anywhere on the internal storage and load it up later? The problem is I don’t know how the Classic Controller is actually mapped, like, what A equals, is it 23, 25, 29, 11? You know? That part isn’t clear, I see the template and does put me in the right direction, but the actual values of the CC are not known and I’ve no way to figure out what is what. The sample used on that thread is the PS3 controller. So right now, I’m at a loss as to actually map and place the file in the right folder, that part isn’t clear to me. And you did read the part about how I on whether or not I use HID/Android, Retropad or Retropad_keyboard, etc. These things aren’t clear to me, to be brutally honest, and maybe, just maybe, I’m too incompetent to follow what should be a simple thing to do. Sigh I feel like such a fool.

I don’t know what to name the template, I dont’ know what values are assigned to the Wii classic controller, and I don’t how to load or where to place the file once I’ve made it. Maybe I should get the MOGA pro controller instead.

You see, that’s my point. You’re trying to sync an obsolete piece of tech using an obsolete app on an obsolete system… How is it Libretro’s devs problem?? You’re expecting them to release a custom ROM for the sole purpose of using a weemote with their app??

Yes, do yourself a favor and buy a compatible controller. It’s dirt cheap nowadays and it’s headaches free.

On a side note,

You got personal issues? We all do but it’s nobody’s business and it doesn’t mean you’re allowed to be uselessly rude. Would you care if I just had an argument with my wife? I don’t think so. In the end, you’re jumping to their throats but your issue has nothing to do with retroarch.

[QUOTE=Tetsuokenpachi;25064]You see, that’s my point. You’re trying to sync an obsolete piece of tech using an obsolete app on an obsolete system… How is it Libretro’s devs problem?? You’re expecting them to release a custom ROM for the sole purpose of using a weemote with their app??

Yes, do yourself a favor and buy a compatible controller. It’s dirt cheap nowadays and it’s headaches free.

On a side note,

You got personal issues? We all do but it’s nobody’s business and it doesn’t mean you’re allowed to be uselessly rude. Would you care if I just had an argument with my wife? I don’t think so. In the end, you’re jumping to their throats but your issue has nothing to do with retroarch.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because I totally have money to get a controller right now despite having being unemployed for nearly five months, but I digress. I never said it was RetroArch’s problem, not once, I said it was a royal pain in the arse to sync a Classic Controller to it, that’s it, but I digress, Having said that, I did see a new MOGA Pro for 12 bucks brand new through a third party retailer through Amazon. Though I wonder how decent the MOGA series of controllers is, but they are nice in that they have internal rechargeable batteries, I’ve heard mostly positive reviews, can I tried it to not be a piece of crap and work with this, among many other emulators?

Custom ROM? Surely you mean an auto_config file. All I was asking is how to assign the buttons to the corresponding config file, what folder to place it, please reread what I posted. I was trying to make a more professional-levelheaded thread, and you had the audacity to stir up anger and jump down my throat unnecessarily. I’ve have a mind to just block you and other like-minded people who try to make a straw-man argument, but I won’t.

Anyways, would this fare well for all emulators, if not, most? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB5R9OY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1GXO4RC1AMIY3&coliid=I32FOMY0WG4NYL&psc=1&tag=donations09-20

You can put the autoconfig file anywhere you want and then go into settings > path settings and change your autoconfig directory to wherever you put it (for example, somewhere on your SD card). To get the keycodes, run this utility and then press buttons on your CC: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806&page=6&p=20068&viewfull=1#post20068 It will print the codes and that’s what you put into the autoconfig file.

[QUOTE=hunterk;25078]You can put the autoconfig file anywhere you want and then go into settings > path settings and change your autoconfig directory to wherever you put it (for example, somewhere on your SD card). To get the keycodes, run this utility and then press buttons on your CC: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806&page=6&p=20068&viewfull=1#post20068 It will print the codes and that’s what you put into the autoconfig file.[/QUOTE]

Thank you man, this will help me a lot :slight_smile: Is there a certain name it needs to be for the .txt file? Is the input device named Android or HID?