What's the status of the Steam release of RetroArch?

I was just wondering if there were any updates to the release date of the Steam version of RetroArch?

Thanks!

No updates currently. We’re still working toward it, but there’s no release date.

Will RetroArch on Steam include SteamWorks integration? I am mostly curious how to navigate the licensing issues with GPL.

We don’t have any specific plans for it at this time, but we are working on a shim interface that will keep it separate from any GPL code (there are other similar shims around, but we figured we’d whip up one that does exactly what we need).

Hey, will you support installing RetroArch on Linux from Steam natively? Even though it is better to use the distro’s package managers in most cases, on the Steam Deck this will be a different story. Even though SteamOS 3 is based on Arch Linux, it is going to be shipping with an immutable root filesystem. The only available way to install programs will be Flatpaks and, according to Valve, it will have some kind of menu you can enable through the main “Nintendo Switch like” UI to download them. But if you want the most amount of people that will be using the Steam Deck to use RetroArch, then the best thing would be to be able to install the Linux version from Steam, instead of having to tell the user to enable Flatpacks and go through this mess to install RetroArch.

the steam linux version shouldn’t have anything to do with FlatPaks. I can install it directly from steam just fine here.

Extremely sorry. For some reason, I taught RetroArch on Steam was only released for Windows. My mistake, and thank you for your great work!

1 Like