Where Is Default Save Directory?

Where is the default save directory? Can I see it if my phone isn’t rooted?

We’ve changed a lot since 1.2 already, now the default save location is the rom folder, same for bios location and savestate location. If that location is an external SD card you need to change it to the internal SD or the app dir.

And no you can’t get to those files without root but now you can set the location (there are three top level directories in the browser now, “/” that is the device root, “/data/data/com.retroarch” that is the retroarch root, and “sdcard/data/com.retroarch/files” that is the external files dir

Hello - I was just wondering about the second bit myself and had come to this realisation, as my phone is also unrooted so thanks for clarifying.

Can I just confirm: the first bit only applies if you are running a KitKat or later build, due to the way newer Android versions now handle SD cards, yes?

I haven’t yet updated to the official 1.2 (looks great though -love the idea of the Game&Watch emulation!) as I’m running the nightly from May 24th which is still working well for me on my stock, unbranded JellyBean Galaxy S4. Yes, JellyBean! The SD card thing is precisely the sort of reason I’ve not updated to KitKat / Lollipop!

Many thanks in advance.

Yes it should apply to post kitkat but May may still have the save folder hardcoded inside the app dir. If you upgrade, do it to the latest nightly many things have been fixed already (such as that)

I’m thinking about implementing Storage Access Framework in the android menu to be able to get roms, bios from different storage providers and backup saves / states even if you are forced to use the app dir but this isn’t gonna be coming in the short term

Indeed it does.

Will do and thanks for the advice. Have already set up separate external sd card directories for save files, save states and (for playstation) BIOS folders.