Which nes and snes core is best?

Maybe asking which is best isn’t the right way to word it but anyway…

I just tried out FCEUmm and then nestopia. They seem equally good but I noticed save states aren’t interchangeable and I would hate to choose a core that has an issue turn up later.

Same goes with the snes cores. I assume SNES9x next is probably the best simply because it says “next” but I’m not sure. There must be a reason multiple cores are included and supported. I know there is also the new bsnes included as well but that has audio issues in the super Mario rpg which I figured could happen in that core with certain games.

In terms of accuracy, SNES9x NExt would be the worst out of the three included cores since it has targeted speedhacks for many games. This was done out of necessity to get all games running at fullspeed on even something as puny as a Nintendo Wii.

Bsnes would be the most accurate although SNES9x mainline is very respectable as well.

Likewise, NEStopia is a bit more accurate than FCEU, but FCEU should be fine, too.

Note: savestates aren’t compatible across cores but in-game saves are, so if you decide at some point that you want to switch cores, just do an in-game save first. Also, you probably shouldn’t rely too heavily on savestates, in general, because even minor emulation changes to the core can break compatibility with older states (savestates, after all, are just a snapshot of the emulation “machine” at a given time).

Thanks. I didn’t realize the actual in game saves were compatible. I do use both but in testing I just quickly tried the states.

Though it’s the worst, the differences aren’t terribly appreciable, are they? I know little things like the speed the triforce rotates in LttP is off, but it’s usually just little touches like that, right?

Though it’s the worst, the differences aren’t terribly appreciable, are they? I know little things like the speed the triforce rotates in LttP is off, but it’s usually just little touches like that, right?[/quote]

It’s close to unnoticeable really - and most of the remaining inaccuracies due to the few applied speedhacks I’m trying to filter out anyway without any noticeable loss of speed.

There are a couple of games that break quite badly in less accurate emulators, but to my knowledge, all of those bugs exist only in ZSNES, exist only in games you’ll never play, or both. Just don’t use Next for ROM hacks, I got a couple of disappearing gradients when I tried.