Which version of DOSBox? Loading DOSBox Config Files Closes RetroArch

I can’t seem to load config files without RetroArch closing. Anyone know the DOSBox version or how to do this correctly? Some games are working fine loading the .exe, but some games need to load the config, like Police Quest 4. Thanks

Thanks for that. So I guess the version in RetroArch is DOSBox SVN r3853? Where did you actually grab that config file from, out of curiosity? It’s a bit different than a couple others I have from SVN Daum and regular DOSBox.

[QUOTE=solid12345;27767]I haven’t gotten around to trying dosbox on retroarch, what is the performance like installing win95 on it and trying games? [/QUOTE]

Not really good atm. There is a syncing problem caused by the strange way dosbox does its stuff that doesn’t do well with retroarch sync. Even v-sync off has some big slow down sometimes and unreliable framerate (at least with games such has Heretic / Hexen / Dark Forces). Also there is no key remapping.

I had better luck with this stand-alone build which has shaders such as CRT geom.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;27780]Not really good atm. There is a syncing problem caused by the strange way dosbox does its stuff that doesn’t do well with retroarch sync. Even v-sync off has some big slow down sometimes and unreliable framerate (at least with games such has Heretic / Hexen / Dark Forces). Also there is no key remapping.

I had better luck with this stand-alone build which has shaders such as CRT geom.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. But, the games you mention are pretty much obsolete with DOSBox anyway. They all have source ports that are much better. Heretic, HeXen, Quakes, DOOMs, Dukes, and Dark Forces. Pretty much most of the essentials, for the exception of Blood.

Didn’t all these games always run crappy in DOSBox at a proper resolution? I know Blood does as it won’t stay at 60 FPS, even with Standalone DOSBox SVN Daum. It’s playable though with the right settings and fixes.

[QUOTE=∞Phantasm;27945]Interesting. But, the games you mention are pretty much obsolete with DOSBox anyway. They all have source ports that are much better. [/QUOTE] If you talk about doomsday or stuff like that I tried several and prefer using dosbox.

I want the original resolution with a crt shader on top. The other modern ports are nice for controls but even that makes the games look strange with a full (vertical and horizontal) mouse view in those engines that weren’t designed for that (sprites look more like posters, change in gameplay). And again, no CRT shader option with them.

I finished Dark Forces, did several maps of Hexen, the first chapter of Heretic, Doom and expansions, some OMF2097, everything runs nicely with a 55000 cycles fixed setting (should be in-between a 486DX2 66 and a Pentium 100). Just some occasional redraws you can’t get rid of it seems with the way sync works. And that stupid mouse movement on the vertical axis.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;27947]If you talk about doomsday or stuff like that I tried several and prefer using dosbox.

I want the original resolution with a crt shader on top. The other modern ports are nice for controls but even that makes the games look strange with a full (vertical and horizontal) mouse view in those engines that weren’t designed for that (sprites look more like posters, change in gameplay). And again, no CRT shader option with them.

I finished Dark Forces, did several maps of Hexen, the first chapter of Heretic, Doom and expansions, some OMF2097, everything runs nicely with a 55000 cycles fixed setting (should be in-between a 486DX2 66 and a Pentium 100). Just some occasional redraws you can’t get rid of it seems with the way sync works. And that stupid mouse movement on the vertical axis.[/QUOTE]

I don’t have experience using an actual CRT with the ports but you can definitely set them with the original graphics and any resolution, with fixes, original sprites, more options, multiplayer, etc. Try Zandronum. ReShade Framework has fairly good CRT shaders like PixelArtCRT and Advanced CRT on SweetFX. GemFX can add a slight bloom. CRT-Royale in RetroArch is definitely the best shader for TV/Arcade Monitor, though. But not sure how it looks on those retro DOS PC games as it’s more for console and arcade. A PC CRT Monitor probably needs some type of dotmatrix shader to look more like originals.

I tried that and that was never OK to me. I enjoyed Unreal with modern textures and mods but for older games with low rez 2D elements everywhere, nothing beats the original with a CRT shader to my eyes. The version of dosbox I linked has that (CGWG crt-geom) so I’m happy with it.

I find dosbox retroarch working well for my basic needs. Playing old sierra games. I turn to cpu up to 5000. I love stretching them to 30:17 in 1080p and adding shaders. I just need to map the mouse to my ps4 analog stick like the scummVM core does.