Why can I no longer use glsl and .cg shaders with Beetle PSX?

I never had this problem when the core was called “Mednafen PSX,” but in the latest versions all I get is a black screen when trying to run the core with glsl and .cg shaders.

I’m using the nightly build from August 8th, so I’m up to date, and I run Retroarch in opengl mode. None of the shaders I use for crt emulation support Vulkan.

If I run the core in software mode, everything works fine. The issue is when I try and use my shaders, which work with all other cores in opengl fine.

p.s. actually I’m not even sure if the core is running in opengl mode–I selected this in the core options for “hardware” which as I understand, use whatever base retroarch is set to, which is opengl.

which shaders, exactly? what kind of GPU do you have? Please post a log of you trying to load a shader.

I’m trying to use Solid12345’s shaders from his Analog Shader Pack, the “Nanao Soft” shader.

I have a Nvidia 670 GTX

Log is:

https://mega.nz/#!zVlllb7J!c81SVAp9g-0gXahW6vtLGSKYbg_Rt9GGejV8uxMppAE

I believe the issue is that nvidia doesn’t expose some GL features to Cg and those features are needed for the hardware renderer in beetle-psx. So, when you load a Cg shader, it breaks those features and thus the image goes black.

The answer is to use GLSL shaders, but I do realize that those shaders/presets are only in Cg format.

Is it possible to use an older version that does not have this issue? I remember over a year ago I could run mednafen with shaders and ps1 games and no issues.

Sure, just head over to github and check out an old revision from before the GL changes and then build it.

Ehh, I dunno how to build anything. Probably requires a bunch of compilers, libraries, etc. I don’t have, right?

yeah, it’s not stuff that you’ll have just lying around.