Why don't core overrides from the UI save changes to input settings?

Is this intentional?

There are legit reasons for wanting to change input settings, such as:

1. Turn on/off the Turbo hold key for a system (I don’t want it on for Playstation, I do for Sega Game Gear)
  2. Turn off a hotkey for a system
  3. Disable a button for a system, but keep the keyboard input on (Famicom Disk System - I want to be able to press a keyboard key to change disks, not accidentally press a button and do it)
  4. Make the mouse work as ‘Player 2 gun trigger,’ as some systems (the gun games) will not function without it. But I do not want this for every system.

Just to name a few.

I was thrilled with the simplicity of Core Overrides, vs. ‘configuration per core,’ until I realized that this was broken, and I still have to open text files and edit them.

The thing is you can MANUALLY add this stuff to text files, and it will work, but if you then save a core override later, RetroArch will delete all of it. Why?

Let me put this another way… if there’s a good reason why it is this way (because it seems like someone intentionally tried to make it so that a user COULDN’T do this), I’ll leave it alone.

But if it’s just an oversight that can be fixed, this is worth a bounty for me if a dev shows some interest.

I believe the issue has to do with how the options are stored internally. The function that handles the overrides can’t “see” the input options, so they can’t be saved and they get wiped out on any subsequent saves.

I see…

Is it something that could possibly be fixed? I’d put up a bounty for it if the answer is yes, but I don’t want to waste my money if it’s something that is more trouble than it’s worth.

Alternatively, would it be possible (as I’ve noticed control remapping has improved considerably) to add mouse (to allow a user to map player 2 gun to the mouse) and keyboard settings (so that a user can turn off a button, and map the function to the keyboard instead)? (perhaps a submenu since there are a lot of keys and this would clutter up the remap menu)

And, would it be possible to do away with the ‘turbo hold’ key in the main input settings, and make it an option as an input exclusively in controller remapping?

That is also worth a bounty for me.

Very nice improvements with the latest RetroArch in terms of controls… it’s almost perfect, but these last few issues are still causing me headaches.