Why is there no Start + Select combo to enter the RetroArch menu?

I’m setting up a dedicated RetroArch system and I’m currently fiddling around with the controls. I mainly use an SNES USB replica and an original NES controller with USB adapter. The problem I’m having is how to set up the system to allow me to switch between the two controllers and still be able to access the in-game menu.

There is three pre-programmed combinations for accessing the menu:

Down + L1 + R1 + Y L3 + R3 L1 + R1 + Start + Select

The problem is that the NES controller doesn’t have any shoulder buttons. So, why not set up the hotkeys so that Select enables hotkeys and Start brings up the menu? That works for the NES controller, but the hotkey mappings are global and independent on which controller is used. So, when I change back to the SNES controller, it’s suddenly no longer Start + Select that brings up the menu, but instead two other buttons.

When I highlight the “Menu Toggle Gamepad Combo” item in RetroArch’s menu and press Select, I get a description of the setting and a list of all three available combos. However, the third combo is described as “Start + Select”, while it’s actually L1 + R1 + Start + Select. Was it just Start + Select previously, and if so, why was this changed? Start + Select seems like an excellent combo to be able to support old controllers such as the NES. It’s actually what RetroPie defaults to as well.

It actually interferes with a lot of games that use that shortcut for other things (Super Mario World, for example). However, I don’t really see any reason not to include it as an option. I’ll see if that’s a thing I can implement.

I see. It’s a bit tricky to solve this in a universal way. I believe having this extra option would be good, though. Start + Select would probably work fine in the majority of the cases and if you know you’re going to play a game that conflicts with this setting, it’s quick and easy to temporarily change to one of the other options.

Thanks for taking a look at it!

Hmm, it looks like the combo exists: https://github.com/hizzlekizzle/RetroArch/blob/master/runloop.c#L222 My guess now is that it’s just hooked up in the menu incorrectly.

to be continued…

EDIT: Everything looks to be okay. I’m not sure what’s going on :confused:

A temporary workaround is just to map L3 and R3 to your select and start buttons, and set L3+R3 as the menu toggle.

I have to do that for my N64 pad.

It isn’t ideal, and it should be fixed, but, it works.

[QUOTE=hunterk;51380]Hmm, it looks like the combo exists: https://github.com/hizzlekizzle/RetroArch/blob/master/runloop.c#L222 My guess now is that it’s just hooked up in the menu incorrectly.

to be continued…

EDIT: Everything looks to be okay. I’m not sure what’s going on :/[/QUOTE] Hmm, I believe I might have found the issue. As you say, Start + Select appears to be fully implemented. I believe the issue is here:

The number 3 there probably needs to be changed to 4, since there is four available combinations. Start + Select is the last specified combination, so it’s currently excluded.

Do you think you can test this modification and commit it if it works? I’d do it, but I currently don’t have access to a proper build environment.

EDIT: Also, the info text for this item should be updated to reflect all available choices.

That’s a great workaround, thanks! :slight_smile:

Glad I could help.

hurrdurr, yeah, that seems to get it. good catch, as usual :slight_smile:

I’ll get a PR in for it in a jiffy.

EDIT: merged. Give it a shot.

Tested with latest nightly and… it works!

Thanks a lot for your help! :slight_smile: