Why were the higan (Super Famicom accuracy) core abandoned?

I have preserved my entire library of Super Famicom and Super Nintendo games digitally and patched some of my Japanese games that weren’t released in America/Europe with language patches (Rudra no Hihou, Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia just to name a few) and I am finding this specific core to be the perfect partner to go along with it, like hand in hand relationship.

higan (Super Famicom accuracy) might be overkill but it guarantees that all my game will work just as good as they did on the real system like 1:1

I find it fascinating that this actually is a possibility to have a perpetual non-updatable core that just functions no matter what.

1 Like

Is this not the source tree here (i.e., the ‘libretro’ branch of the higan mirror)? https://github.com/libretro/higan/tree/libretro

3 Likes

Higan was already pretty much 100% accurate and compatible at the time. There’s no reason for any retail SNES game to have any issues or bugs. Even the bsnes (2014) cores are close to perfect when it comes to that. I was still using those before i finally changed to the current bsnes just a year ago and i tested hundreds of games.

The fact that it’s not being updated anymore also protects it from breaking. It’s pretty common for a core to have regressions or new bugs when it gets a new update and that’s why RetroArch lets you “lock” a core if you want to keep it at it’s current state. And it was pretty common for me to revert to an older version of a core after an update.

Now, even though the core is stable and doesn’t get updated, RetroArch itself does. And that could be a reason for an older core to stop working if it’s not maintained. That’s the only concern i suppose but after all those years i’m using RetroArch, i haven’t seen it happen. I even kept an ancient N64 core until recently, called “glupen”, way before it became -next and it was still working fine years after it got abandoned (i was keeping it for nostalgia and laughing at old bugs) though i decided to clean up my core folder and deleted it.

3 Likes

You guys are amazing and I love reading your responses and thoughts on things! And oh my god, glupen64 sure brings back memories, I miss that core really, logan went on and made a bunch of things which ended up with Simple64.

I don’t really use it and I’m sticking with the Mupen64Plus Command Line version with both angrylion-rdp-plus and parallel as options alongside cxd4 and parallel rsp.

And I didn’t even know that the repository for the higan core still existed, that makes me happy to see.

3 Likes

In that case I recommend to have a secondary non updating RetroArch folder, basically locked to a specific version. This could be dedicated to all cores and other stuff you don’t want to update. Basically same idea to what RetroArch does with the MAME cores, current version and those MAME 2016 in example, but applied to the entire RetroArch folder and setup.

1 Like

bsnes was too though. near stopped working on higan and moved back to bsnes in an effort to make it more feature rich and user friendly. In that effort they also made a libretro core version themselves; which is the current bsnes core. I don’t think they did the higan libretro core; thought it was a third party like with the 2014 bsnes cores. Not 100% sure though.

The current bsnes core has been rock solid for me as my daily driver SNES emulator for years. Never had crashes or any problems with the core options. Only thing I might want added to it is more cropping settings (primarily to cut off the extra top and bottom black from Yoshi’s Island).

1 Like

Themaister made it, IIRC.

2 Likes

Whether or not this is relevant to the thread I’ll let you guys to decide, this is more like a “To whom it may concern” kind of post, for good or worse.

I have been game collecting and working on preserving my collection for most of my life to a point where I feel that it sometimes have been like a unhealthy, time consuming, life consuming habit and I have started to feel like this isn’t a hobby anymore, more like an obsession.

I have been emulating since 1999 which this year marks my 25th year anniversary with emulation.

It all started with that I’m a big Mega Man fan, but as I live in Sweden/Europe only Mega Man 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 was released to us here in Europe.

Mega Man 6 were nowhere to be found and importing games when you were 13-14 years old would have been a costly affair, believe me, used games was quite expensive even back then.

One day at the school yard I found out that there was a way for me to experience the 6th chapter of the NES Mega Man hexalogy. A much older guy than me had been using something called “emulation” which back at the time was quite alienating to say the least.

I was intrigued and needed to know more so I decided to look all this up, and yeah it was true, Nesticle (what a classic name huh) was the solution to my problem. But how would this work?? I don’t have the game and there is no way for me to buy it since it never released in Europe.

Well, I was then introduced to ROM files which opened up Pandoras Box and with our 56k Modem I got what I needed and I even put the game on a 3,5" Floppy Disk with a custom label on it to place among my Mega Man 1-5 collection.

Happy ending? Nope! There is always the question, what if? Nesticle had something a NES didn’t have, the ability to save state and down the rabbit hole we go.

This is awesome, why would I play my games on the consoles when I could emulate and save the games when ever I wanted and I wasn’t causing any wear and tear either (instant win-win)

Back then I didn’t really care much for emulation quality, CRTs were still a thing and at some point early 2000s I remember connecting my computer to a real CRT TV and played NES, SNES and N64 games. There were no needs for any shaders or filters, the CRT made it look like I was playing on the real thing.

If we are going to be honest and yes we will, I know what you are all thinking and yes I did emulate games I didn’t own, many many times. I tried the games and I later ended up buying the ones I really liked. When you are young, you have a tight budget but even today I still try out games before buying them and 90% of the time a purchase is made.

Anyway, does this story have any meaning or an end? Well yes.

Being almost 40 today my interest have started to decline and I have peaked a long time ago. I’m having false memories of how things used to look and run because I have been using emulators more then playing on the real consoles.

I have spent most of my grown up life trying to replicate my childhood experience but to what cost.

Accuracy is important, but I can’t tell the difference because 95% of everything I play is emulated anyway.

After 25 years I’m really tired, I don’t want to end-up regretting not living my life. This will probably be one of my last posts regarding emulation for a very long while and it’s time to embark on a new journey.

As Roger Murtaugh would say: “I’m getting old for this shit”

2 Likes

I’ve had a bit of a similar experience, but with remakes/remasters vs. originals. Do I emulate Crash 1-3 or play NSane Trilogy? Emulate Sonic Adventure DC or play PC DX with the Dreamcast mods? NES Mario games vs. All-Stars? Sonic Genesis games vs decompiled Retro Engine ports with mods and Sonic 3 AIR? Kirby’s Adventure and Kirby Super Star vs. Nightmare in Dreamland and Super Star Ultra? Half-Life vs. Black Mesa?

I spent way too much time playing a stage or world in the original, then again in the remake/remaster for comparison. My brain has felt like mush sometimes since I kept flip flopping every other day which version I preferred.

Ultimately I’ve settled on the newest version for almost everything. I might prefer some things about how the originals look, sound or control, but generally the upgrades have made the games more fun overall. It’s mostly nostalgia that tries to hold me to the originals. Like, I got NSane Trilogy running at 120 FPS by forcing Vsync with Special K and it just looks so smooth and clean at 4K.

I still enjoy tweaking my favorite games to get the best experience too, and you often get more mod or romhack options with the newest version.

1 Like