Will Genesis Plus GX get overclocking options?

Just wanting to know, not asking for it. Just wondering because SNES9X has SuperFX overclocking options.

At least a few games could benefit from it.

1 Like

Genesis Plus GX is one of the few programs where you’re actually better off just using the original. Eke Eke has got Sega emulation down really well.

Well it couldn’t hurt could it? Like when Sonic loses a hundred rings a more gameplay slows down.

Overclocking it could definitely help and shouldn’t be hard to implement should it? 10-12MHz overclock should be fine. I wasn’t talking about anything crazy like 40-60 MHz. The NeoGeo emulator also has that option but I’m not sure what clock rate it’s running when you set it to 200.

I’m guessing 200 is about about 22MHz, or am I wrong?

This is the original. It’s an upstream port and ekeeke actually supports it

This is the original. It’s an upstream port and ekeeke actually supports it[/quote]

I guess that’s a no then because I know he won’t do it. Unless there was another way…

This is the original. It’s an upstream port and ekeeke actually supports it[/quote]

I was referring to the fact that ekeeke maintains a version of GenPlusGX that is optimized for the Wii.

Optimized might not be the right word(emulation should be exactly the same as RA) more like GenPlus GX is more functional and has much more features and conveniences. The only things RA has over genplus are CPU filters, overlays and setting a custom viewport which is useful for Game Gear games.

https://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/is … ail?id=223

It doesn’t seem like he’s interested in adding an overclocking option, although I’ve heard some games greatly benefit from that.

MAME’s megatech emulated CPU can be temporarily over/underclocked.

I suggest using MAMEUI.

Search for 00750AB5 (7.67 MHz) with Cheat Engine and change it to 00B71B00 (12MHz) and you’ll notice faster loading with the megatech Sonic games like Sonic 2.

1 Like

I am curious if this option was ever implemented, would help Megaman Wily Wars and Sonic games a lot. If not do you know of any sega genesis emulators that support overclock?

No, I have a patch that can do it but Eke’s not interested in adding it, and he calls the shots on this emu, so…

Wow what about adding that patch to the other sega core picodrive? Or maybe releasing the patch?

Seems he changed his mind:

Please add it man.

Hi guys any news on this patch and the nes patch? I can not seem to find them.

Megasis has overclocking in it and testing Sonic 1 Multi shows how much it can help against slowdowns. Even if anyone has to make a branch of GX with overclocking and maybe even other extra features,it would be nice.

To think of it,the SuperFX overclock for SNES is not that useful for other stuff like loading and slowdowns such as Earthbound with all 4 party members in a few areas (lots of enemy sprites too) to the point of chugging along or a few certain spots in Super Mario World,it would need real overclocking of the SNES’ processor speeds to get rid of slowdowns.

Ekeeke said: “Adding optional 68k overclocking is very trivial though, only a few lines changes in m68kcpu.c to turn the clock multiplier (MUL) which is actually fixed to 7 into a configurable parameter (lower the value to increment clock speed, up to ~53 MHz if multiplier is set to 1),”

So anyone with the tools and the knowledge wants to give it a try? you could upload the core separately to other place for download so that does not replace the current core. It would be awesome.

1 year later and I’m wondering if this possibility for Genesis Plus GX to get overclocking died… I read the github conversation from the developer and honestly I could not follow whether he would accept a PR on this or not.

As a secondary option, it seems preliminary work has been done on porting Blastem (a Genesis emulator with overclocking) to Libretro but it doesn’t seem to be available yet.

AFAICT, the problem with genplusgx is that is uses macros for a bunch of stuff in that file and changing that MUL to a variable breaks all of those macros, so we would also need to go through and change how it all fits together and make a big mess of it in the process.

Ok, good to know. That does sound somewhat unreasonable. I think it makes more sense to just use a different core like Blastem for some games that would be better overclocked.

Can you decipher if libretro Blastem is still a thing? I mean, it’s on github but I don’t think the core ever got released.

Not sure. I don’t think it’s specifically on the roadmap but it probably wouldn’t take a ton of work to get it going.