Win XP compatibility

I think my issues have more to do with driver issues, I would think that nvidia would release working quadro drivers for XP, but seems not. I have problems in OpenGL in retroarch, desmume and epsxe. Just to clarify my above post. What a shame :S

I have no issue compiling DeSmuME-future for Windows, though I am using MinGW64 and compiling for 64bit only since I have no use for 32bit. Commit c6445fd was what patched DeSmuME-future to compile for Windows fo RA but I didn’t see any reason why it compiles fine for 64bit but not 32bit Windows.

Ah, that’s good to know. I wasn’t trying the *-future repo, so that’s likely my issue. I should probably replace the official win32 build with the one with older ffmpeg libs and try to get desmume-future going while I’m at it.

If you manage to compile it in 32bit, it would be nice to share it with us :slight_smile: thx !

if there was actually a like button, i would approve of what you just said. :slight_smile:

Only a question, can you guys make RetroArch work in XP smoothly? I got issues and can’t play any game, sound is cranky and video slow, when checked the used OpenGL is version 4.3 which IIRC is the last supported version on XP. Should I blame GL version or nvidia drivers, the other day I talked with nvidia support and he told me he didn’t think so but that I could try with older drivers, I got this problem with other GL based emus like ePSXe, etc.

Well, not even MS is giving support for XP anymore… Why not consider an upgrade to… linux or something?

Change the video driver to SDL in the RGUI interface. Test whether it makes a difference in the video output and speed.

For ePSXe, test with a driver named “GSdx.dll”, a video software-based renderer with excellent output. The link to the file is here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-GSdx (version 0.1.14). However, it may require testing with different versions of GSdx under 32-bit XP. I tried to attach the version I know to work, but the attachment size here is limited to 256 kilobytes.

@AndresSM: While I appreciate your help, your post doesn’t add anything to the table. The internets is full of posts of “why don’t you upgrade”? well, I’m actually “upgraded”, have a dual boot with XP and 7, but I want to make RetroArch work on both systems.

@bobster1.geo: thank you, you are giving me alternatives to avoid OpenGL is that right? What I really want is to use OpenGL, thus I’m asking if you guys got problems with it because if not I can refute the discussion with the nvidia representative so they can fix the drivers for XP. Can you confirm? Aside that I will test with SDL but I recall not working either… which is strange, gotta try again. The link you gave me is for PS2 right? I thought GSdx was directX? Anyways it doesn’t include the AVX build. : /

I can confirm that the “gl” mode is working on my XP (32-bit) system. The above suggestion was to test with directx or SDL (which may use dx or gl) to exclude other causes of the slowdown issue. And, yes, GSdx does have a hardware acceleration option, but also has a software mode; in my copy, it only displays the software modes. If the non-gl modes also show the slowdown issue, then it becomes more likely that the cause of the problem is not the gl mode itself. Best of luck with finding a resolution through Nvidia.

bobster1.geo, is your card nvidia? The problem is, it’s not a matter of driver or renderer d3d, sdl or gl. I launch retroarch and then go to settings->video, when I check my monitor refresh rate it’s (wrongly) about 30Hz, that’s when I know no game will play fine, whatever the core or driver I set it to. I also seem to have problems with d3d and sdl, but that’s only on RetroArch, on epsxe only gl goes slow.

I have two systems, one an old ATI and the other Intel. I previously used Nvidia, however. Have you run the dxdiag tests? Did you try different video resolutions (testing in window and full screen modes)? Are you connecting via HDMI or DVI? Did you test with a different video connector, if available, and video monitor? Have you installed a monitor specific driver? Do any games display this problem? Did you try an older version of Retroarch?

I fear my settings are more average than you think.

I’m testing RA on my monitor, by DVI cable. Yes it has a specific driver, but that’s not relevant since I also get stutter video and audio when plugged on TV (by HDMI if that tells you something). Windowed or full screen has no impact on performance.

Then you running RA on ATI and Intel GPU helps me nothing at all. I’m gonna try an older RA version. Previous to 1.0.0.0 as that one was already giving me issues.

I’m stuck on Windows XP for the time being because of antiquated video capture drivers. I don’t like it, but it’s either that or I spend $500 I don’t have rebuilding my entire computer from the ground up (I need a new motherboard, which means new RAM, new processor, maybe a new case and PSU). I’d love to be able to do that, but I can’t, and that’s the way it is.

Switching to Linux just for RetroArch seems like a bit of an extreme move. That’s like telling somebody to move to Alaska because the headlight on their car went out. I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with Alaska, and the government gives you a massive tax break just for living there at all, but really, now…

Just because Microsoft ended support for Windows XP (which isn’t even entirely true, they’ve provided three updates in the month and a half since) doesn’t mean the system has to be completely, entirely, and thoroughly abandoned. There are lots of reasons for lots of people to still be operating a system using XP.

Ain’t nothin’ wrong with being considerate to those people.

No one is going to intentionally break XP compatibility, but none of us have an XP system (understandable, of course, since it is a dead OS), so we can’t ensure quality/reliability. Anyone stuck on XP is welcome to start providing builds here on the forum, though, should something go awry.

Unrelated to RetroArch, if you’re planning to continue using XP, I recommend you not use your computer for anything involving passwords and definitely nothing related to money/banking. Sticking with that OS hooked up to the internet is akin to leaving your car unlocked with keys in the ignition: sure, you might be fine, but it’s kinda asking for trouble.

This recent official version works on XP: http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retro … changelog/. This shows that the developers have been supporting XP and I’ve heard no statements to the contrary. There is no sense evolving the thread into a debate about which operating system is better, much like arguing about your favorite sports team.

No problem bobster1.geo, the sparker was the brief troll-packed post of AndresSM. Some people can’t simply let others have their own preferences, I like XP because it is snappy, and it is and will always be my fallback OS, it is almost like a swiss clock, whereas Win7 is like that monster of a machine that does things by itself (automations fest by sir Microsoft) and nobody knows why. I use both on dual boot, and now for gaming purposes I rely on 7, no wonder about that unfortunately.

About my issues with OpenGL, I bought a new card and use latest driver and now RetroArch works, as desmume and other GL based emus. It now reports GL version of 4.4, so XP is not limited to 4.3 as it was thought. The card I was using a Quadro 600 was limited to driver version 321, so I don’t know what was to blame if the 4.3 GL version of the 321 driver, or something else broken by nvidia.

I’m not trolling I’m giving an explanation, and some options.

I NEVER STATED THEY ARE DROPPING SUPPORT FOR XP.

I’m usually quite calm and I don’t really get into these kind of arguments. Still, stop trying to read other people’s intentions. Not everyone is you. I don’t give brash responses attacking people. UNLIKE YOU.

You always act as if you were entitled, quite demanding and acting as if you knew everything.

BTW you should try to learn what a troll really is.

Hi

small bump t the thread

Still impossible to use stable release 1.0.0.2 on XP SP3

“The procedure entry point InitializeConditionVariable could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.DLL”

For sure retroarch is looking for some function the XP kernel32 dont have

Any ideas?

Any news about XP compatibility?