Win XP compatibility

The new version (1.0.0.2) of retroarch for win32 gives me this error: “The procedure entry point InitializeConditionVariable could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.” Is windows xp no longer supported?

I don’t think anything has happened to the code, specifically. It’s probably just a result of the build. You could try building it yourself, though, to see if that helps.

or… you could always download the megapack from the downloads page and use the version of RetroArch from that (hopefully, it works).

Edit: Just to add… for some reason the mupen64 core doesn’t work for me, as RA attempts to load it and then it crashes (I’m using phenoix by the way, as i can’t see the RGUI probably due to my graphics card being a standard on-board intel gfx card).

I’m using an on-board Intel GPU too with no problems.

Have you tried switching the RA video driver to GL?

I have exactly the same problem under xp but the build runs well under win 7 or 8 .

however it crashes when i choose “d3d” instead of “gl” in retroarch.cfg I assume it would also crash under xp :slight_smile:

yes previous mega pack (1.0.0.0) works fine oh well no netplay for me I guess

Netplay has been there for a loooong time.

Anyway, maybe you can post your log running with --verbose so someone can try to find out what’s failing

I’m using an on-board Intel GPU too with no problems.

Have you tried switching the RA video driver to GL?[/quote] my on-board gfx (Intel® 82945G Express Chipset. sounds kind of generic… don’t it?) are most probably older than yours… that’s probably why i get a white screen, when i either load RetroArch directly and can’t load the Mupen64.core.

it’s already set to OpenGL, by the way and drivers are up-to-date (well, according to Intel for that OS anyway)

I have the same graphics card in a netbook and couldn’t get RGUI to work on it either. Direct3D9 crashed, OpenGL gave a white screen. It’s ancient hardware and the latest official drivers for it on Windows are OpenGL 1.4. Luckily, launching games through the command prompt worked fine with OpenGL.

What we need is a basic and simple loader which doesn’t require use of the RGUI at all and can be run within Command Prompt to load roms/cores and toggle netplay.

Edit: It’s just a shame that nowadays some emulators aren’t backward compatilble with either older gfx cards or operating systems. As i would love to use retroarch with my old notebook on Windows 98SE (USP3), but i doubt it’ll be powerful enough to run it. Also, as far as i know it would need unicows.dll to run on any Win9x operating system.

I use RetroArch.x86 on my machine with 7x64 and XPx86 (Dual Boot) and on XP it simply doesn’t work, same settings, same everything, independent of core, game, video driver. RetroArch version 1.0.0.0. Whatever I load it goes very stuttery, cracked sound, and specially and probably the main reason, it detects my screen refresh rate wrongly (too low). I’m using a Quadro 600 card with latest drivers.

there is no log because retroarch won’t even start error I’m getting “The procedure entry point InitializeConditionVariable could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.” is directly linked to non-compatibility with windows XP so my only option is to learn how to compile and try to fix it myself right?

Well yeah unless you can wait for someone to have enough time to install XP and build and check what’s going on. Building RA itself is not hard at all, cores are a bit finicky but RA doesn’t take long and it’s all self contained in Maister’s bundle

I successfully complied retroach.exe using some tutorials I found and it works fine main difference with official 1.0.0.2 release is that it uses avcodec-54.dll, avdevice-54.dll and avformat-54.dll instead of avcodec-55.dll, avdevice-55.dll and avformat-55.dll which are not compatible with windows XP kernell

@Papator Would you mind posting your build? That would save me the trouble of making another build with the older libs.

I didn’t figure out how to make a proper build yet but here’s an .exe I compiled and lib files from previous megapack (you can place them in RetroArch-v1.0.0.2-32bit folder and it should work) http://www.mediafire.com/download/ce9dm1adqby8rf7/retroarchwinxp.rar hopefully this will be of some use for others running windows xp

hopefully this will be of some use for others running windows xp

Sure it is ! Thank you ! :slight_smile: however I’m affraid that the end of xp is near… DeSmuME core is missing in 32bit did you notice that ?

XP support is likely to be around for a long time / indefinitely. The problems (current and historically) stem from none of us having XP/32-bit systems to build and test on. The current 32-bit release is just whatever I managed to cross-compile from my linux laptop. So, if someone else can compile a working 32-bit desmume core, I’m happy to add it to the official package.

Unfortunately i have no skills at all at programming or even compiling. I tested with a basic tutorial. I get mingw32, the source code of desmume future… when i do : mingw32-make -f makefile.libretro it starts to compile but i have an error

src/arm_jit.cpp:27:22: fatal error: sys/mman.h: No such file or directory #include <sys/mman.h> compilation terminated. <builtin>: recipe for target ‘src/arm_jit.o’ failed mingw32-make *** [src/arm_jit.o] Error 1

perhaps it is because the makefile is for android but it’s beyond my understanding :frowning:

Yeah, that’s a missing library. That’s been my problem, too. I’m not sure how other Windows folk have handled that one, as mman.h is not generally available in Windows-land.