Windowed fullscreen?

Hi

I am trying to get RA to open in fullscreen with the system’s window decorations (fluxbox in this case) however it seems like RA is not respecting the setting or maybe I am not getting this right.

RA opens in Fullscreen regardless of Windowed Fullscreen mode state. The both result in true borderless fullscreen.

I tried this on WIndows and Linux (Flatpak , Jan 23 2020).

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendation to make this work so that anytime I open RA, open a new game, or get back to RA menu after quiting a game is always at the right sizxe, right scale and right position with window decorations.

thanks

windowed fullscreen is the same thing as borderless fullscren, which is just a giant window that covers the whole screen. As you’ve found, this is different from a maximized window.

IIRC, there’s an option somewhere to remember window location and geometry, which would be what you want, I think.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I actually tried that option which is listed under the “windowed” mode, but it does remember nothing :slight_smile: However I am going to go ahead and reset all the settings in case something was messy.

The “remember” option does not work. I don’t think it ever did.

1 Like

The feature works (has always) in windowed mode.

Since RetroArch 1.8.2 the settings have changed:

MENU/USABILITY: Video - Hide Windowed Mode settings selectively MENU/USABILITY: Video - Hide Fullscreen Mode settings if windowed mode is not supported by context driver

If you enable “Remember Window Position and Size” RetroArch uses the values in “Window Width” and “Window Height”.
You have to calculate the values minus the window decoration and the taskbar (if you have one).
If you disable “Show Window Decorations” as well you get a fullscreen window with menubar (values = display width, display height - taskbar height)

The only thing i didn’t found are the position settings in the GUI. But you can change everything in the retroarch.cfg

video_window_save_positions = "true"
video_window_show_decorations = "false"
video_windowed_position_height = "1040"
video_windowed_position_width = "1920"
video_windowed_position_x = "0"
video_windowed_position_y = "0"
2 Likes

That’s not what “remember position and size” means :-/ The setting just doesn’t work, or at best does something completely unrelated to what it claims to be doing.

:question::question::question:

Can you explain to me what you are expecting?

It should remember the size and position of the window. For example, if I resize the window and move it, then close it, next time I start it it should have that size and be on that position. Every application in existence that has a “remember window position and size” option does exactly that.

But the settin DOES exactly that.
The Window Height/Width is fully optional. It is set automaticaly when you resize the window.

[EDIT] the settings are only permanent when you move the window after resizing. :man_shrugging:
But if you move the window a bit the resized window will be remembered, the position as well

If you dont move the windows you can resize with the settings and it will be remembered

[EDIT-2] Ok, this is weird. If i move the window and than resize it, the settings are not remembered, but when i resize and than move the window, everything will be remembered.
This is definetively a bug and should be reported on github. Maybe with the request of adding pos_x and pos_y settings in the GUI as well.
@RealNC can you do this please, as i dont have an github account?

1 Like

[UPDATE LINUX] @RealNC I would like to apologize, because the behavior on LINUX is as you described.
If you enable Remember Window Position and Size RetroArch uses the values you entered in the GUI or in retroarch.cfg.
When you resize and move the window it will fall back to these values on the next restart.

Only on Windows the behavior is like i outlined in the post above.

2 Likes

I’m trying to achieve Borderless Fullscreen on Windows 11 So, I followed your steps, and I can get Windowed Fullscreen with Menu Bar working perfectly fine, but if I hide the menu bar the screen adds black bars at the top and bottom. I tried setting the video_windowed_position_height to 1080 manually but RetroArch overrides that on startup. If I set the height manually from setting it doesn’t respect it, restarting RetroArch resets it back to something like 1040-1065

A post was split to a new topic: Running cores/games at reduced scale