Windows + Rogue Squadron

A rogue squadron rom that I have doesn’t even open, it immediately crashes retroarch to a black screen. I’ve been searching for solutions and found that rogue squadron needs some plug in of some kind to emulate n64 pixels… Can this be implemented? I’m not really a tech wizard, but i would love to get RS running. Peace!

Rogue Squandron is notorious for not emulating properly. Along with Majoria’s Mask and Conker’s Bad Fur Day, it’s among one of the most difficult to get working. I don’t think it’s possible for it to work at all on libretro-mupen64plus. Dunno about any other mupen permutations.

That’s a bummer. Thanks for the response.

Greetings. New user. Im trying out RetroArch, rogue squadron is the only n64 game I own. Is it possible to get this game working yet? It works on pj64 with the latest gliden64 plugin. But I’ve tried with both cores that you can autodownload. Parallels crashes retroarch immediately, and mupen64plus just has a black screen.

Thx

Hi, I just had Rogue Squadron running today after updating the mupen64plus core. It appears to slow down a bit sometimes but I haven’t noticed any other issues. Maybe the core developers made some amazing breakthrough or something?

About the black screen, do you have any shaders on? apparently Mupen64plus doesn’t like them.

Parallel should work, but you have to change the graphics and RDP plugins in the quick menu, exit RA, and boot the game again. I can’t remember which ones I got it working with, but I think the RDP plugin was the more important one.

That being said, Factor 5’s games are notoriously hard to emulate. I don’t expect them to work fully.

I would recommend just nabbing the “Rogue Squadron 3D” from gog.com or something. It’s the same game, but runs natively in Windows. So if you’re dying to play through it, that might be your best bet aside from real hardware (N64)

Also, I know it just got a big angrylion update (Seen on the front page of libretro.com) and I haven’t had a chance to test those new settings with the game. So it may work that way as well.

Yeah there was a breakthrough a few months ago when one of the devs behind the gliden64 project reverse engineered the microcode for the game. So Gliden64 works great with the game now. I wasn’t sure if that work had made its way into Mupen64plus (which uses Gliden64).

I tried updating my Mupen64plus core but still get black screen. No shaders. What are your system specs?

I then tried parallel again and was able to get it to work. I set the driver to vulkan and the core gfx settings to parallel and it worked. However it was extremely slow and not playable.

Our gliden64 hasn’t been updated in a while, so no, it won’t have those recent updates. If you have a fast enough CPU, the multithreaded angrylion plugin in the latest ParaLLEl should run it, as well.

I run RA 1.6.7 on a windows 10 MSI Cubi with a core i3 cpu with intel HD graphics (can’t remember which one).

hunterk: thx for the info. Wasn’t able to get it working with the angrylion plugin. Based on what I saw in pj64, gliden64 seems to be the best way to run it. So guess I’ll just have to wait for that code to get updated. Plenty of other things to play until then.