It’s hard to tell what’s more frustrating: older games with needlessly-frustrating mechanics, or libretro cores that don’t support cheats when their base emulator does. So, I’m setting out to fix both of those problems by adding cheat support to libretro cores that are missing them, at least until I get bored. Turns out almost all of the work is already done by leftovers in the cores, and I only needed to put the pieces together in retro_cheat_set and retro_cheat_reset.
- Mupen64Plus and ParaLLEl N64: Full GameShark support
- Beetle PSX: Full GameShark support
- Genesis Plus GX, Picodrive: Full GGG and PAR support for all consoles.
- VBA-M: Supports GSv3 (Encrypted) and CBA (Decrypted).
- bsnes and bsnes-mercury: Full GG, PAR, and GoldFinger support
- Snes9x (no-year): Full GG, PAR, and GoldFinger support.
- Nestopia: Full GG, PAR, and RAW support.
- Yabause and Beetle Saturn - Investigate current status and add support for all possible cheats. Waiting on me acquiring some Saturn games.
- mGBA - Investigate current status and add support for all possible cheats.
- Retroarch - Make entering cheats less of a hassle
- Retroarch - Replace .cht file format with one that’s less of a hassle
- Libretro/Retroarch - Add support for explicit cheat types and specifying to underlying cores
How to help me help you help us all:
- Do not rely on RetroArch’s provided cheat files. These files were auto-generated, are completely untested, and may be in an unsupported format or for a different game version.
- Verify your code works on a real console cheat device or another emulator before posting any issues here, if possible.
- Verify you are on the latest version the core.
- Verify you did not make a typo on code entry.
- Make a post here identifying your core, test rom including region and version if applicable, and a test code. It helps if it’s something easy to test like infinite ammo. If it requires me to be in a specific location of the game that can’t be reached in only a couple of minutes, attach the game’s save file.
- Feel free to post cheat issues you have with cores not in my progress list.
Enjoy ruining all of the fun.