X-Arcade with RetroArch issues

Hi,

RetroArch… AWESOME! 'nuff said =D

But MAME with my X-Arcade is tricky! The X-Arcade send keyboard presses, and with the original mapping, the first tricky bit is to remove all conflicting keys in the initial retroarch.cfg. For instance, P1 button 3 is “space”… and RetroArch intercepts that to set fast forward!

But my main issue is that the original mapping has two P2 buttons mapped to “[” and “]” (opening an closing square brackets). When configuring input in MAME, pressing those is like the buttons aren’t working, RetroArch doesn’t seem to be sending anything to the mame core…

Is there any valid reason why RetroArch can’t work with those two characters? Is it a bug?

I’m not the first one to have come across this issue : http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top … #post-2887

While poking around, and using a different mapping layout I had already set in my X-Arcade, it seems like other characters cause similar problems, “^” and “;” at least. Note also that my X-Arcade device is one of the very first ones, with a serial connector and a separately bought USB adapter, and requires a PS/2 keyboard to program the custom key layouts. It’s not one of the more recent “Tanksticks” which also have a touchpad. The “xarcade2jstick” utility doesn’t recognize my device by default, and I’d like to get it working with as few changes as possible anyway.

All help/pointers are welcome!

Matthias