X360 controller acts like a turbo controller; can't stop

This is the case on both 1.2.2 and 1.3.0 (which I downloaded in the hopes of solving this problem).

I’m using an Xbox 360 controller. Out of the blue today, it started acting like I had all the buttons on turbo. Even the start button acted like it was on turbo. I saw no option to turn turbo off (or on even, for that matter). Setting the “turbo period” and “duty cycle” to 1 make the controller function normally, but that leads to two problems of its own: the word “null” keeps appearing on the bottom-left corner of the screen every time I press a button, and the game won’t remember the configuration, so I have to manually make this change every single time I start the program, or even change games!

What is causing this problem and how can it be fixed?

Strange, try to put all those lines on “nul” in your retroarch.cfg:

input_player1_turbo = “nul” input_player1_turbo_axis = “nul” input_player1_turbo_btn = “nul”

Believe it or not, those lines already were set! So the problem appears unrelated to that.

Rolling back Windows 10 to an earlier time fixed the problem. So an update was what caused it. That same update resulted in another game constantly displaying keyboard controls onscreen when I was playing with my controller. So the Windows 10 update apparently did something to controller recognition and/or controller behavior. How messed up.

woof, that’s messed up. Thanks for the heads-up on it!

Yup. I began to suspect it when I saw posts elsewhere of people complaining that a recent Windows 10 update borked their X360 controllers and made games do weird things. (In my case, both Retroarch and Rise of the Tomb Raider were affected, in very different ways) Finally I decided to just roll back the Windows 10 update and see what happened. My last update was the night before the problem started, so definitely not a coincidence.

Now I’m afraid that some random future update that’s marked “critical” may do the same thing, or come with all prior updates included, and as a result be unavoidable.

[QUOTE=TheCGly;34797]Yup. I began to suspect it when I saw posts elsewhere of people complaining that a recent Windows 10 update borked their X360 controllers and made games do weird things. (In my case, both Retroarch and Rise of the Tomb Raider were affected, in very different ways) Finally I decided to just roll back the Windows 10 update and see what happened. My last update was the night before the problem started, so definitely not a coincidence.

Now I’m afraid that some random future update that’s marked “critical” may do the same thing, or come with all prior updates included, and as a result be unavoidable.[/QUOTE] As someone who isn’t on Windows 10 yet, I gotta ask: Unless you’re using Windows 10 Pro, how can you even prevent the update from happening? I’ve been under the impression that Windows 10 forces all updates on you and that you can only postpone them for up to a month unless you trick it to thinking you’re always using a metered network connection.

If you can’t, it’s stuff like this that has me hesitant to upgrade, even for free.

The problem has randomly returned, and my computer appears not to have reset itself overnight either. My computer doesn’t indicate any new restore point created last night. Oldest restore point I can load from is 4 days ago.

What the hell is going on?! The controller is messed up, and I have no idea what to do. This is disgusting, and it appears to be Windows 10 related? Like before, it’s not just affecting Retroarch.

I pulled the wireless receiver in a different port; nothing.

So I uninstalled the driver and reset my computer. When back on, it made no indication that it was reinstalling the driver, but I currently don’t have the problem.

Anyway, this appears to be not a Retroarch issue, but an issue with how my computer interacts with my controller.

Okay! I finally discovered the cause of the controller problems.

You ready for this?

I had Undertale running in the background.

Yes, not kidding. I have a habit of running many games at once, but Undertale for some reason causes the controller to act strange in some other games in the ways I described above. (It was doing odd things on Rise of the Tomb Raider also) Closing Undertale fixes the problem; opening it causes it. THAT is the cause.

Just thought I’d pass that on in the odd chance that someone else might be having similar issues for a similar reason. Try closing other games and see if it affects you.

lol you got dunked on.

Good one!

I think it has to do with GameMaker, the program Undertale is made with. It seems to be grabbing the controller for itself (it does not lose focus when running in the background while you do other things), and that’s affecting things like Retroarch and various other games.