X360 controller and menu toggle on Windows 10

Hello! I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now I cannot toggle to the menu using the home button on my Xbox 360 controller. I did not alter any configuration in RetroArch and this feature worked just fine on Windows 8.1. Is there any workaround for this? Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention, but I’m using version 1.2.2, stable.

Windows hijacks the button, it’s not out fault it’s windows, I think there is some tool to disable that but I’m not certain

You can open the Xbox app and in it’s settings there’s a toggle to turn off GameDVR. With that off you can use the Guide button in RetroArch and other stuff again.

… but now the thing it sucks (typical Microsoft). If you use a local user, you can’t access XBOX settings without logging into a Microsoft account, but Game DVR is turned on by default. You can temporary log in to disable the option, but if you don’t want to log in (for some reason) or don’t have a Microsoft account, you have a problem. It’s even not possible just to delete XBOX. To delete anyway, you have to do these steps: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/34qzni/how_to_remove_xbox_integration_in_latest_windows/ I did not test, so I am not sure if it disable Game DVR, but I think so.

I couldn’t open the Xbox app (error 0x3fb) and tried a LOT of workarounds, none of them solved this issued. When I was about to give up, I found a better solution here: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3a4esy/windows_10_streaming_xbox_button_on_controller/

This doesn’t need the Xbox app and works just as fine. Thanks everyone for your help!

One alternative is of course to set an input combination to open it - L3 + R3, for example.

Also, the behavior may be set when first seeing the DVR prompt (Is this a game? or something, can’t quite remember).

thx for the link jhjpa!

Thanks for the hint about GameDVR. I disabled it. BUT, I still cannot bind the Xbox button as my “menu toggle”. Any idea how to do it?

After the Windows 10 November update that method doesn’t work anymore. You have to enable GameDVR, bring up the overlay with Windows Key+G and go to settings in that overlay. Then turn off the guide button there. Then you can disable GameDVR in the Xbox app if you want; it won’t affect the guide button even if it’s enabled with that option off.

Excellent. It works! Thanks a lot!

For those that don’t have or want to have the GameDVR I found another fix for this problem.

Go to the device manager to Xbox 360 peripherals. Right click and select properties. Go to the driver tab and click update driver, click browse my computer for driver software. Then select “Let me pick from a list”. You should now see 2 drivers listed pick the one marked [2009-04008], should be the bottom one. Reboot system if needed.

I found this solution on a steam forum post and it worked perfectly for my Logitech wireless controller.