X360ce in Retroarch: Strange workaround necessary for xinput

I recently received an N64 controller to USB adapter (the Raphnet, which identifies as a generic USB HID device but works great with most emulators). I’ve spent the past week trying every combination of software to get force feedback working in Retroarch. The only previously published tutorial requires the selection of SDL2 drivers for joypad input (which works fine but with no force feedback).

Now here is where things get weird: The only way I can have my N64 controller adapter work via xinput (with perfect force feedback) is by using x360ce xinput drivers WITH my xbox 360 wireless controller connected. Without the controller connected, Retroarch will not recognize the xinput device from x360ce (when using xinput joypad drivers). This tells me that, with an xbox 360 controller actively connected, an xinput driver or service is enabled that forces Retroarch to actively look for the xinput dll in the directory.

Does anyone have an idea as to how/why this is? I’m not completely familiar with how RA works

This applies to both x86 and x64 versions of Retroarch, and I’ve tried both nightlies and the latest stable release. Windows 10 x64.

Are you talking about force feedback or rumble?

Force Feedback is when you have something like a streering wheel hooked up, and it does things like stiffens the wheel when taking a turn at high speeds.

Rumble is just the shakey goodness most controllers N64 and on are capable of.

Sorry- rumbling. I have a “rumble pak” connected to the controller. I call it force feedback because x360ce has a menu for “force feedback” which controls the amount/type of vibration. As I understand it, rumbling is only available on xinput? Which I assume would explain the functionality when I can get the xinput drivers working.

Yeah some programs call it that, I’m not sure why.

Rumble is indeed only available on Xinput at the moment. I’ve only ever gotten it to work with my 360 pads, but after reading this I kind of want to play with x360ce and see what happens.