X68000 emulation

Just wondering if X68000 computer series emulation has been tried to be added to RA. Options I know of but haven’t really looked into:

Not sure how many of those are open-source and most are really old, but XM6 is considered to generally be the best of they all due to transparency effects emulation and there are many “forks” since its official death, so I assume it is open-source (?). Same with WInX68k, notice there’s an English version.

In addition to being open source, they also need to be written in such a way that the GUI code isn’t all wrapped up with the emulation code. This is frequently an issue with old Windows-specific emulators, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it in WinX68k.

Ah. That makes sense. Hardly Japanese emulators from those years are coded that way, I agree. Too bad. The X68000 is amazing and MAME just doesn’t do the the job for now.

Mame / Mess does emulate the X68000, the stand alone emulators like XM6 Pro-68k may do a better job overall but for the small handful of games I actually play on the system Mess handles them just fine with better controller config and HLSL shaders.

How’s Akumajou Dracula’s emulation in MAME? I thought it didn’t emulate the transparency effects, for one? Thunder Force 2? Naious doesn’t crash when you get back to the title screen…?

Does MAME have a quick way to change floppies?

[QUOTE=Milsancho;47139]How’s Akumajou Dracula’s emulation in MAME? I thought it didn’t emulate the transparency effects, for one? Thunder Force 2? Naious doesn’t crash when you get back to the title screen…?

Does MAME have a quick way to change floppies?[/QUOTE]

Should be a hotswap key similar to the FDS machine.

Yeah, thanks, but I don’t know. The key for swapping sides of a FDS disk is not used for floppy-based computers, that’s sure, at least not on those which have more than one drive. Maybe that’s the issue: more than one drive, more than two disks, different request depending on the software… how do you arrange it universally beforehand so that a key press works. Standalone emulators, with their toolbar and traditional windows system, solve the issue pretty well. Unfortunately, their syncronization engines and display options suck.

The other option might be to convert the disks to a single .prg (program) file. I’ve done this with older systems that run through Hatari, for example, Atari Falcon 030 games. Similar to an EBOOT on psx or psp.

edit

I’ve just loaded up Alien Syndrom through standalone MESS and it seems to load fine. I will try and load it through either MESS or MAME cores and see if it loads. If it does, then using the TAB Menu to load disks would be done through MAME internally until someone adds the functionality into RA from the Quick Menu - Options etc.

You can use softlists in retroarch. Take the “hash” folder from Mame and drop it in retroarch\system\mame(or mess2014).

You can also create an ini folder there with a x68000.ini in it for options llike: ui_active 1 bios 3

Then you have to respect Mame naming with your X68000 folder and roms.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;48024]You can use softlists in retroarch. Take the “hash” folder from Mame and drop it in retroarch\system\mame(or mess2014).

You can also create an ini folder there with a x68000.ini in it for options llike: ui_active 1 bios 3

Then you have to respect Mame naming with your X68000 folder and roms.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I’m using MAME with softlists already for a5200. What ini settings do you recommend for x68000, or do you have them set on a per game basis?

Will adding this to the ini allow driver selection within the MAME core?

## SLOT DEVICES
#
keyboard                  x68k
upd72065:0                525hd
upd72065:1                525hd
upd72065:2                525hd
upd72065:3                525hd
exp                       

#
# IMAGE DEVICES
#
floppydisk1               btlmania
floppydisk2               
floppydisk3               
floppydisk4               
sasihd     

ahh maybe it’s the cfg

<image_directories>            <device instance="floppydisk1" directory="D:\Emulators\MESS" />
            <device instance="floppydisk2" directory="D:\Emulators\MESS" />
            <device instance="floppydisk3" directory="D:\Emulators\MESS" />
            <device instance="floppydisk4" directory="D:\Emulators\MESS" />
            <device instance="sasihd" directory="D:\Emulators\MESS" />
        </image_directories>

I just change the 2 lines I gave + readconfig 1 writeconfig 1 rompath mypath\X68000

But not sure that’s really needed now.

I load the rom in Retroarch GUI and it launches the game. Mame core options are:

read config ON enable softlists ON softlists auto media ON media type rom (I don’t think this one matters?)