Xbox 360 ORB to get RetroArch Menu ? How?

Hi !

When I first setup the Wireless Xbox 360 controller, I could use the Xbox ORB (Xbox logoed button on the remote) to get to the RetroArch Menu. I liked having this option so I can save games and other quick features. This is on Windows 7 x64

I Enabled Hotkeys and got SELECT/START to EXIT RetroArch cleanly (as I am using Emulator station for my front end)but, I lost the ORB going to RetroArch Menu, now it just pauses the game, just like the start button does. I tried 4 systems with the same results.

How do I get it back to so the ORB gives me the RetroArch menu again WITHOUT losing my Select/start to exit ?

I’ve been working on this to get it all to work for a week…cant figure out this last one…

Thank you in advance !

OK, figured out one thing. The PAUSE was coming up because I had “Pause when not in focus” enabled. When you hit the ORB the Xbox bar came up taking focus away. I disabled that, now it does not pause (as it should) but, it does nothing.

At one point I had the Xbox BAR coming up, so I disabled STATS in the startup/registry and rebooted, now pushing the ORB no longer shows the Xbox bar.

So, I have gone into Hotkey Binds and select “Menu toggle” and after hitting the ORB it shows 10 as the item. I exit out, open a game (no matter what game, does not matter), the Xbox ORB does nothing. It’s like a dead button.

If I go back there is an option to “Menu Toggle combo” but, I want to use the ORB as I am using other buttons for games.

Is there a way to get the ORB to toggle menu or is something else broken ?

I don’t want to reset it, as getting Select and Start to exit was a little bit of a pain…

I am using the Offical stable release (1.4.1) but, if a Daily build would help here, I would gladly try it…

If you are using select as your hotkey enable button, you need to hold select and press the orb for the menu hotkey to work.

Can I manually set it via the retroarch.cfg someplace ? (as the button is 10, setting it someplace in the cfg file)

I hit Select/Start on hotkey AND EXIT. So if I hit it again, it just exits. The result is what I was after but, it does not help setting this.

Or going back a level, If you go back, it asks the Combo to get the Menu up, Can this be set to 10 (for the Xbox ORB) with out touching the hotkeys ? Or even in the Xbox Controler config ?

Thanks for your reply !

It would be: input_menu_toggle_btn = “10”

Ok, my Toggle is 7 or Select… If I hold Select and hit the ORB (button 10), it comes up, that does work. One step forward…

Is it possible to just hit the ORB and get the menu to come up in anyway , even if hacking or adding things to the default controller layout cfg files or anything ?

My main things I wanted was to hit Select and Start (a combo that is very rare to use in games), to exit RetroArch cleanly. Then I wanted to use the ORB on a Xbox 360 controller just to access the menu, so I can save.

Yes, this works but, is there a better way to make it work like I want to ?

I’m having a similar issue except I’m using an XBOX One controller via Bluetooth. Pressing the XBOX button in the middle of the controller used to bring up the game bar. I figured out how to disable that but now the XBOX button isn’t doing anything. I went into the controller settings where I can test all the buttons and see what button numbers light up. I have button numbers 1 through 11. I tested every button but nothing lit up when I hit the XBOX button. I tested all the other buttons and noticed that button number 11 was the only one that didn’t light up. So I’m assuming that button number is suposed to be for the XBOX button. Any ideas on what else I have to do besides disabling the game bar to get that XBOX button active again? Thanks.

No, once you enable the toggle hotkey, ALL hotkeys only work when that toggle is held. You could disable that and exit cleanly by pressing the orb to bring up the menu, backing out the main menu and scrolling down to quit. Or run a keymapper (AntiMicro, Xpadder, ect.) in the background with a select + start key combo setup that presses the Esc key.

If you’re on Win10, you need to reenable the game bar, bring it up and go into it’s settings and disable the guide button shortcut. Then you can disable game bar again.

I reenabled the game bar and brought it up but I didn’t see anything in the settings that said anything about disabling the guide button. But even when I did reenable it I did go back into my controller settings to test the buttons again and hitting the XBOX button still didn’t light up any of the buttons, but it did try and open up the Game Bar. So even if I did disable that shortcut I don’t know if it would give functionality of that button back to me. Do you yourself actually have an XBOX One controller set up in RetroArch and are able to use the XBOX button? Because if so then I know it’s probably just a settings issue on my end and gives me hope that I will be able to fix it. Thank you.

Yeah, I just tried it out and was able to map it in input options as my menu toggle. It showed up as 10. Then pressing it pulled up the menu. There should be a cog icon when you bring up the game bar, then somewhere in the settings there is a guide button shortcut you can uncheck. When it’s checked, the Game DVR steals the guide button input, so nothing else works with it. People complain about it on the Steam forums since that button is also used to bring up Big Picture’s overlay, and also won’t work when that shortcut in Game DVR is enabled. Used to be you just disabled the DVR and it would work, but after an update you have to uncheck that setting.

Thanks for the full understanding how it works. A bit of a disappointment but, I understand now.

The Xbox bar is a startup item. Once you delete the startup item, it’s gone. This is if you installed the Microsoft driver software for the Xbox 360 controller on Windows 7 / 8

run MSCONFIG look over start items uncheck the Xbox one… and reboot, it’s gone.

This bothered me too…

Thanks for everyone’s help. I figured out how to turn it off in the game bar settings. But when I did them Steam opened up every time I pressed the button. Luckily I was able to figure out how to disable that. So now I have my XBOX One controller working perfectly in RetroArch. Thanks.