Xbox Controller sending unwanted keystrokes in mame

I am having an issue with the last emu I am trying to setup, which is mame. The issue i am having is the controller is sending keystrokes that makes playing impossible.

Left Trigger -> Tab Right Trigger -> F11 Left Stick “Click” -> F2 Right Stick “Click” -> F3

How can I disable the keystrokes? I thought i looked everywhere and starting to pull my hair out on this one… any help please?

Did you try this:

1. Hit “Tab” when you’re in a Mame game
  2. Then search the different options (I don’t remember exactly but there are things called “User Input” or “general input”).
  3. Search for the “service” items (they appear 2 times), highlight them and press “del” on your keyboard. That’s what I had to do to remove the annoying “service” screen when I accidentally pressed on the left joystick on my xbox 360 controller. Don’t know for the other items, but let us know if you find.

Actually… thanks… thats one way to get around it. Something must be up with the Mame cores that it send those keyboard strokes on to joystick. I’ll have to just disable those keys on the interface and move the config key to another.

Actually, i don’t think this is a MAME issue, I think it’s a RetroArch issue. When you map keys those particular Joystick functions MAME sees ‘key F#…’ instead of ‘Joy 1 Button X’ like it does for all the working Joystick functions.

no. It’s a mame_libretro issue not a RetroArch issue.

the guy that did the port just mapped keystrokes to retropad buttons instead of adding a proper joystick interface

I investigated a bit more because even if I deleted the shortcut entries related to “service” in mame, pressing on the left joystick brought the service menu in a few games (galaga88). The solution which seems to work for me: Settings>Input>Autoconfig enabled: off User 1 Analog to digital: Left Analog User 1>bind all: press on the different buttons accordingly. Seems to have solved the issue so far.