Xbox One Guide Button No Longer Opening Menu

Suddenly, my guide button no longer opens the RetroArch Menu. I haven’t changed anything, so I’m confused as to how this could have happened. I tried replacing the Xbox_One_Controller.cfg and XInput_Controller_User_1.cfg files with new ones, but it still doesn’t work. I also tried editing the files to enable the guide button, but it’s entirely possible that I don’t understand what I’m doing. Is there some sort of guide out there that explains how to enable this function on xbox one/360 controllers. Thanks in advance.

It should just work out of the box. If it does not work for you, it’s probabely a Windows problem on your end (I’m assuming ypu are on windows). I don’t think it’s a problem on RA.

Make sure Steam and/or Xbox app does not have this button locked for internal use. I suggest you go on your gamepad configuration on windows and test this button works on the gamepad wizard.

Greetings.

2 Likes

@cubatilles, You were absolutely correct. I should have also mentioned that I was running RetroArch on Windows 10 and would occasionally get a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error stating that the program had closed in an unusual way. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that this error happened EVERY TIME I TURNED ON THE XBOX ONE CONTROLLER. I googled around some more and tried a few solutions, but THIS is the one that fixed my problem. The guide button now opens RetroArch’s menu and everything runs perfect again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

1 Like

I spoke too soon. The runtime error came back, and after a little searching, it appears to be a conflict with the Microsoft Xbox 360 accessories program and the newer xbox one wireless adapter.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/runtime-error-message-when-using-xbox-one-wireless/f166843d-fc98-4e46-a6a9-187de1089f05

I uninstalled Microsoft Xbox 360 accessories, and so far so good. I’ll post again if the issue persists. I’d also like to find out if I can use both wireless adapters, since I have far more 360 controllers than One controllers.

2 Likes

Hello I have the same problem. I don’t seem to have an app called “Microsoft Xbox 360 accessories” installed. I have a Xbox1 controller on Windows 10. While playing a Colecovision Game, if I press the controller’s “menu” button, I don’t see the Retroarch toggle menu. Nothing happens. I tested my controller with some Windows Store app that does that. It works! Its “menu” button works in other games like Rocket League, Skyrim, etc. Am I supposed to press it for several seconds? HELP!! Thanks, David

There’s a couple of things you can try. First look for a program in your PC called Xbox Game Bar. There should be a setting to prevent it from hijacking the guide button. Secondly, try closing Steam completely before you use RetroArch.

In short, it’s probably 1 of 2 possibilities. Either another program is hijacking the guide button, or your RetroArch input config file has an error. If you haven’t messed with the config file, it has to be another program interfering.

Hello Radio Thanks for the help. In Windows settings > gaming > game bar > record games, screenshots and broadcast using game bar > it is swictched off, meaning my game bar app is disabled.

I also use Steam, but before I start Retroarch, I check the systray and I make sure the Steam icon is not here.

So these 2 apps don’t hijack my game controller Guide button.

In Retroarch is there an option to reset all game controller settings?

Not exactly, but you can remove the config file and let RetroArch create a new, unaltered copy. Just cut and paste it somewhere else for safekeeping (although you probably won’t need it). When you launch RetroArch again, it will automatically generated a new file. I recently had to do this myself because I messed something up years ago when I was first getting acquainted with the program. In 99% of cases, RetroArch will simply work with all well-known controllers. It’s usually us, the users, that screw something up. Let me know if this works.

I deleted the *.cfg file and restarted and all went well!! But something’s strange : the toggle menu comes when the round button with the Xbox logo is pressed, not the “guide” button. Anyway thanks for the help!!

Thanks too, I had the same issue. The game bar was disabled but the “Open game bar using this button on a controller : X” was still checked (+ X360 accessories installed).

1 Like

@Grendizer That’s the intended function and honestly, the way you would want it to be. Usually those start and select/back buttons are going to be mapped to whatever system controller you’re emulating. It’s great that RetroArch, by default, takes advantage of the “extra” button.