Xperia Play (R800i) problems

Hello there :slight_smile:

I want to report some bugs that i found on my Sony Xperia Play (R800i) I used RetroArch 1.3.2 on unofficial build of CM13 rom (marshmellow), also i had same issues on GB rom (except point 4, it just showing different name of that pads)

1. DeSmuMe core don’t want to load on GB roms
  2. Everything in menu needs to be double tapped to enter (or maybe this is feature?)
  3. HW keys like BACK, MENU and SEARCH don’t work by default. And they are visible as gamepad.
  4. Xperia gamepad is splitted into 2 diffrent gamepads(?) I mean SELECT and START buttons are reconized as “pm8xxx-keypad” and all other buttons are reconized as “gpio-keypad”.
  5. After loading core (ex. Nestopia) and starting a game, then clicking on QUICK MENU button, menu is immediately opening and closing. Holding it and swiping resolves the problem.
  6. while saving new config, then trying to load it, the directory is wrong by default. It shows me “Directory not found”
  7. When im trying to do “Cheat File Save As”, the message Cheat Filename is shown but nothing else. The arrow on the bottom is invisible. It shows when i click in that spot to show keyboard.
  1. Yes, we only support DS games on DeSmuME. Use gambatte for gameboy ROMs.
  2. Yes, our touch support is non-native and that double-touch prevents a bunch of false-positives that make the whole thing unusable rather than just awkward :slight_smile:
  3. Dunno about that.
  4. Yeah, blame Sony for that one. We have a device-specific hack that’s supposed to handle that but they are indeed 2 separate devices.
  5. Yeah, known issue.
  6. Google keeps changing permissions on external storage with each new version. You can go into settings > directories and set your config directory to somewhere you have write access (somewhere in your user directory on internal storage is a pretty safe bet).
  7. The keyboard stuff is kinda weird right now, so expect bugs.

When i said “GB roms” i thought about GingerBread :smiley: sorry for that :smiley: Also about that Xperia play keys… is there any way to play with that “both binded” gamepads ? Or i need to pick that i want gamepad without start - select or start - select without any other buttons ? ^^ Also you can’t make some kind of “hack” to fix xperia play devices to be seen as 1 gamepad ?

This may help :stuck_out_tongue: http://developer.sonymobile.com/2011/02/13/xperia-play-game-keys/

No, sorry. Didn’t tryed with stock rom.

Well i can’t check it right now :stuck_out_tongue: Changing rom just for test is pain in butt :smiley: Maybe there is someone else with stock rom ?

Which cores are built with more recent versions of Android in mind?

Regarding the Xperia Play - I think right now we’re having a problem with it not picking up the default autoconfiguration. I don’t know when this started becoming an issue again, but I didn’t think it was important enough to justify delaying the 1.3.4 release for. I will have to figure out what is going on there again, it sure is a disaster having to keep all this broken/obsolete hardware working all the time while at the same time moving forward but I committed to this particular platform philosophy so I had better see it to its conclusion.

Okay so i flashed stock rom for Xperia Play (Gingerbread) And i installed latest RetroArch stable build (1.3.4)

So at the first i want to mention that none of buttons are binded by default, even BACK / MENU / SEARCH buttons are reconized as “XPERIA Play” gamepad, so they don’t act like default HW keys in other phones. In this case i can’t even change first menu to config screen (i tryed touching and swiping) And yes, on stock rom Start / Select, Dpad and other buttons are reconized as XPERIA Play gamepad. Also i found bug in 1.3.4, when launching RetroArch on portrait view it’s ok. But when i changing view to landscape, then again on portrait, everything is like moving around 100px the right.

Also i installed custom ICS rom, and it seems work same as GingerBread. Except that “bug” what i mentioned one line above.

Yes it works :slight_smile: I tryed on GB and ICS and it works as it should. But i needed to edit config file manually, and assign IDs for the buttons :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S i guess that new GUI decreased performance od emulation :stuck_out_tongue: Because roms are working worst on ICS (1.3.4) than on Marshmellow (1.3.2)

Yes i need to assign all of them. Because after first launch all HW keys don’t work. Also in this new version 1.3.4 i can’t even change to Configuration “tab” to assign them.

I gathered from another thread (http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3973) that some cores such as MAME 2003 would only load on Lollipop / Marshmallow due to some compatibility issues with the tool chain. Sorry this is a bit vague, this is referencing comments by Radius in a further thread which I can’t seem to find.

[QUOTE=Cukier;37831] 4. Xperia gamepad is splitted into 2 diffrent gamepads(?) I mean SELECT and START buttons are reconized as “pm8xxx-keypad” and all other buttons are reconized as “gpio-keypad”. .[/QUOTE]

Got this problem too (CM9 rom). In version Retroarch 1.2.2 everything worked well.

Figured this out. This guide helped me: