Your PC hardware?

Hello everyone.

Some time ago I created a discussion (Hardware suggestions? Mini PC, PC or Raspberry Pi*?) to get suggestions on the best hardware to start Lakka, mainly the old 8-bit consoles, and I was suggested the raspberry pi 3 model B. I have to tell the truth, I’m not completely satisfied with the purchase. I would therefore like to switch to a PC, and I would like to know from you, with a cost of about 50 euros (but also up to 100 euros is fine :slight_smile:), a good pc or minipc to buy, based on your experiences. I would like, if possible, to emulate the other consoles, not just the 8-bit ones. Then if you give me an eBay link you make me even happier. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you.

You might have a hard time finding what you’re looking for within that price point, if you’re not satisfied with the Pi3B. What is it that you don’t like?

I’m using an Intel NUC6CAYS.

Has just enough power to run all systems with hard GPU sync set to 0 frames, and can run some of the lighter shaders like Zfast CRT. The Pi3B should be able to do the same for less money.

1 Like

Bumping this because I’m looking for a small form factor PC that has VGA output for use with a CRT monitor. Preferably something that is passively cooled and uses x86 hardware. The Intel NUCs are cool, except they don’t support true VGA output; it’s Displayport converted to VGA, which makes them all but useless for 240p output to a CRT monitor.

Power isn’t a major concern as I won’t be emulating any systems more demanding than PSX. It just needs to be powerful enough to do hard gpu sync at 0 frames while running some lightweight shaders (scanlines, scaling, gamma correction, blur).

A 10-year old desktop would do the trick, but they’re bigger and louder than what I want.

Any suggestions?

Honestly, the rpi3b+ is currently the best purchase by far with this price tag. Due to the technologies used in some emulators, you won’t even be able to run a psx game on a pc with a price below ~250 euros, while it’s running fine on a rpi. Your next best buy in terms of price/performance would probably be an odroid xu4, another arm board.

I’m curious though, it seems you mention the rpi being not satisfying for 8-bit consoles emulation, do you have some precise example ?

Edit : i just noticed i’m answering to the wrong post xD

A thin client can work for that. I have one which let me install a dedicated gpu. They do lack emulation power for the price though, it’s only worth to get them used, and then I don’t think you’ll be able to use something like beetle psx with that, needs less accurate options.

Get a used DELL desktop:

2 Likes

I’ll probably wind up going this route. I actually had a CRT monitor connected to that very same model Dell tower just a couple years ago, and then had to get rid of it because reasons. Looks like a trip to Goodwill is in order. Going full old-school!

Would an old Intel Dual core system (like the Dell Optiplex 360 featured in the above video) have enough power to run hard gpu sync at 0 frames with NES, SNES and Genesis cores? I’m fine with hard gpu sync at 1 frame for any cores that are more demanding.

Does this have enough power to run Beetle PSX with hard gpu sync at 0 frames, with a couple lightweight shaders (interlacing, TVout-tweaks)?

Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.10GHz

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-2100-vs-Intel-Celeron-J3455/m41vsm200485

I don’t think so. With hard gpu sync set at 0 frames, I can only run fullspeed 8bit and 16bit systems. For 32bit systems I have to set it up at 1 frame. And my cpu is a i7-6700k @4GHz.

1 Like

Trying to get an old Pentium Dual E2160 with integrated G41 graphics and 1GB RAM to work with Retroarch here without any luck, shitty OpenGL drivers…

Ah, good to know. I’m able to do hard GPU sync @ 0 frames with 8 bit and 16 bit systems on my current system which uses a 2.3GHz Celeron processor. I’m surprised that there isn’t more of an improvement in performance going from a 2.3GHz Celeron to a 4GHz i7! Guess I’ll just hang on to my current system.

Well it will depend on the core of course. It’s not the same using snes9x than using bsnes for snes emulation. I always use the most accurate possible core for any given system.

Greetings.

i think the pi doesn’t support hard gpu sync even though you can enable it, but it can play ps1 games with frame delay at 3 with light shaders, if you set it to use the original monitor resolution and the render resolution to a maximum of 1280x960 (i tried this even in NES, more than that causes delay and it’s not about computing power) with a bit of frame delay, you won’t even need to upgrade

other simpler cores you can increase the frame delay a bit more

anyway about pcs

i’m using a i3 2100, 8gb of ddr3 ram and a amd HD6670, i was ok with the pi but i wanted to play naomi and atomis wave and now i can play even a few pc games

also using pc crt monitor, 240p for those older games

1 Like

@nesguy

i use a i3 2100 but not sure if with that core, i’ll try it one of these days but i’m pretty sure an i3 can run any ps1 core with hard gpu sync at 0 just fine, i’m doing it with reicast core and i can even fast forward the game just fine

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I went with the configuration shown in this video:

I found the 8100 SFF on Craigslist, and the GTX 1050 from eBay for half of the retail price.

I haven’t done any overclocking yet, and I’ve been using some fairly demanding settings without any hiccups- it still struggles with hard GPU sync @ 0 frames with PSX cores and anything more demanding.

It will run any shader you throw at it at a steady 60 fps, but to get the more complex shaders like crt-royale to run smoothly you have to increase GPU sync frames or disable hard GPU sync.

I’m pretty happy, especially considering I only spent around $200. I think this is a good configuration for an emulation PC.

1 Like

I hope you didn’t overpay, the performance gap between a 8100 and a 8200 should be significant! That’s because of the jump to Sandy Bridge CPUs. The difference to between a 8200 and 8300 shouldn’t be as big.

1 Like

@Jamirus

Since the jump in performance going from the 8100 to the 8200 probably still isn’t enough to run hard gpu sync 0 frames with all cores, I feel pretty good about getting the 8100 because the pickup was 20 minutes away and only $75. I wound up spending slightly more on the graphics card. I might actually be overkilling it with the graphics card; the GT 1030 would probably be just as good for what I’m using it for, but oh well.