Your Retro Gaming Setup and Experience?

Im using a Gateway DX4380G PC Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 12 gigs of ram 1.5tb of total storage between 3 internal drives 512 onboard AMD intergrated graphics Power A Wired Xbox One controller

Ive been into emulation for years and every time id build up a collection it would end up getting lost when a drive went or a flash drive was lost etc. This time I dedicated a drive just to emulation alone and I back that drive up on another monthly. Ive only recently gotten into retroarch and I am really impressed with it. Its been a lot easier having everything in one spot. Emulation has come a long way for sure. I remember throwing snes9x on my pentium 2 to play all those games I always wanted to but never got to. Playing Driver on Virtual Game Station.Emulation was a large part of me diving deeper into computers. I’m no programmer or anything but through working with it all these years you come across tricks and trades you can apply in many other areas. I believe the emulation community as a whole has gone a long way toward preserving all these games for future generations.

What is your experience with emulation? Your thoughts? What set up do you use?

3 Likes

I’m also on Linux Mint 19.3 and I have recently discovered Retroarch which is the ultimate solution for me and I could get rid of the other emulators on my laptop. It was getting a bit messy to be honest! LOL.

I’m using a HP DV6000 series laptop with AMD Radeon GFX. It has only 4 Gb of RAM but I’m planning to upgrade it soon.

I’m using a USB controller, it’s a Nintendo GameCube controller clone but it works absolutely fantastic!

As with you I have also been into emulation for years and it’s great to play the games from your youth and the games you always wanted to play but never did.

At this moment I haven’t a specific genre I play but I’m trying to complete Super Mario World(100%). I’m a 100% hardcore retrogamer.

1 Like

Im glad I finally took the step to Linux. I get way better performance out of emulators. Thanks to Linux my dual core is still worth something these days. The only thing I haven’t got running so far is Mame. I havent really sat down and figured it all out yet mainly because I cant stop playing all these games lol. I use a cheap Nintendo pro controller made by EEKIT. It can connect over bluetooth but I havent figured out how to get it configured properly via bluetooth so I just usb it. I had a bunch of old hard drives laying around. Popped those in so I got about 2 TB of space total. Here recently I been playing Xenogears on ps1. I had the game back in the day but never finished it.

1 Like

Emulation on Linux is brilliant if you ask me, I never had any major issues and as you said, the performance is really good. I’ve been playing the 8-bit and 16-bit games recently and I have mixed in some 64 bit games as well. Currently I’m playing Zelda - Ocarina of time.

Regarding to the PS1, I love Chrono Trigger on the SNES and for me it’s one of the best RPG’s ever made. Chrono Cross was released for the PS1 and I have never played ir bur I’m looking forward to playing it on the emulators.

Mame is bloody brilliant. I have played through quite a lot of the Capcom games and I finally had the chance to finish off Taito’s Chase H.Q.

The Gamecube controller I have is absolutely brilliant! But I’m looking into getting different controllers for the 8-bit and 16-bit emulators. I’m trying to match the controllers with the emulators. The problem is to find a good quality controller because places like Amazon are flooded with controllers and it’s hard to find the good ones.

I’ve been on Linux since 2005 and I haven’t used Windows at home since I switched.

1 Like

I picked up a few controllers years back. Retrolink brand. I got an NES, SNES and N64 one. They have held up pretty well so far with my only complaint being I wish the chords were longer.