Zip ROMs?

Hi All,

I’m pretty new to Retroarch and have what may be a silly question. Should my ROMs be zipped? When running RA 1.3.6 in Windows 10 and using the menu, I can load a core and specify the content. My ROMs are in zipped into 7z archives. If I point to one of my 7z ROMs, RA looks into the zip and makes me pick one of the ROMs from the set. That will run the game. If I try to run the game from the command line, I don’t know how to specify to look in the 7z and pick a specific ROM. My command line is:

>retroarch -L cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll d:\ROMs\Aladdin.7z

This just gives me a blank RA window as a result.

If I try unzipping the ROM and specifying a specific ROM file like: >retroarch -L cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll “d:\ROMs\Disney’s Aladdin (Beta)[!].gen” Then nothing happens, just another prompt.

Speaking of which, if anyone knows who maintains the RA info over on GitHub, the information about -help and --help on the command line no longer works. Also, the in-system help on Loading Content refers to setting the ‘File Browser Directory’, but I’ve looked at all of the setting and configuration info I could find in the menu and I didn’t have any luck finding a ‘File Browser Directory’ option. I probably just overlooked it.

Thanks for any help!

It’s in settings > directory > file browser dir.

You should be able to specify an individual ROM in an archive by using the pound sign, IIRC. So, it would be retroarch -L cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll d:\ROMs\Aladdin.7z#whatever.

Thanks for the reply! I found the file browser dir just where you said it would be – thanks!

I tried adding the pound sign, but then it does nothing and gives me a new prompt. Has anyone gotten the new version (1.3.6) to work with RocketLauncher? That is the source of my issues. The RL folks say it is a RA problem and that I need to find the command line command that will run the games, then RL can be configured to produce that. However, I can’t get RA to run a game from a command line.
Following the suggestion so far, my new command line is:

>retroarch -L cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll “d:\roms\Aladdin.7z#Disney’s Aladdin (Beta)[!].gen”

As I said, that just gives me a new prompt.

Thanks for any help!