Light Gun/Mouse and Genesis Plus and Mame

Running on ubuntu 16.04 64bit.

I recently decided to look into light gun game emulation and I have it working in Nestopia and bsnes, but having problems with genesis and mame. I just want to know if I’m doing something wrong.

Basically in genesis, the mouse works, but something about the resolution scaling causes the cursor to not reach all the way to the right side of the game screen. Also if I move the mouse off the left side of the game screen, the cursor zips to the center, which is a little disorienting when trying to aim over there. Retroarch is set to full screen and Core Provided aspect ratio.

The reason I bring up resolution scaling is because if I set Retroarch to windowed mode and 1x scaling, the mouse works perfectly, but the window is tiny of course. Same with if I use fullscreen and force the aspect ratio index to 1920x1080, it works perfectly (but of course sega games look funny at that resolution).

Does anyone else have this working properly or is there something i’m doing wrong?

Oh and as far as MAME, it just doesn’t work. I’ve read in multiple places that you can use the mouse in light gun games, but none of the Mame cores I have do anything. The cores I have are labeled “mame” “mame2010” and “mame2014”.

sorry to revive such an old post, but i have a somewhat simmular problem with the mouse not being alligned with the screen in mame2010 core in ubuntu 18.10/retropie and with batocera.linux and there isnt not much help to get in the respected forums, so i was wondering if anyone here can maby help me?

@goodjaerb did you ever find a fix for this?

Wow I can’t believe I posted this so long ago. I think the last I tried in one of the newer mame cores it mostly worked ok but it’s also dependant on the games I think. I was also trying to use a wiimote emulating a mouse so that’s touch and go as well.

after playing around with this for a while now, i am now certain that this is a problem with lr-mame2010 allowing the mouse outside the “window” where the game is played.

does anyone know if there is a way to lock the mouse to the current game/“window” with mame2010 core?

When I was first using mame with my light gun everytime I would go left off the screen as soon as I went right the pointer would strat moving (even if I wasn’t close to the edge of the screen) throwing my calibration out. Is this what you mean?

If so try using advmame 1.4 that emulator doesn’t have that problem for some reason.