Multiple disks on games like Shenmue on Reicast Core (Dreamcast)

Hi everybody !

Sorry to disturb you with this question but after reading the documentation on Libretro website and searching on the tickets on Libretro Reicast core and forums, I don’t find my answer.

Here is my question : With Reicast Core (https://github.com/libretro/reicast-emulator), how can we use multiple .gdi files on Retroarch with this core for instance in games like Shenmue to change the disks ( automatically ? ) ?

Example : Shenmue has 4 disks named Shenmue-D1.gdi, Shenmue-D2.gdi, Shenmue-D3.gdi and Shenmue-D4.gdi .

If someone can explain me how we can do that, it will be useful too for people who wants to try too.

And congratulations for all the people who participate on Reicast and/or his Retroarch core : I am really happy to see huge improvements / ameliorations on the Dreamcast emulation with your work.

In a friendly manner, Jackobo

I haven’t done the process specifically with Reicast, but you should be able to use the ‘disk options’ menu in the quick menu. You cycle the tray (to open), return to the game for a few seconds so it can recognize the open tray, go back into the menu, append disk and find the next one, increment the disk index to the one you just added, cycle the tray (to close) and then return to the game.

Make sure you have a ‘file browser’ directory set in settings > directory before attempting this process or you will run into a bug where it restarts the game when you try to append a new disk.

So we can’t preload the files like we can done on PSX Core (.M3U file method ) for instance ?

I think you can do m3u playlists, yeah. I’m not 100% on it, but it’s worth a shot.

AFAIK Reicast core does not support m3u loading neither disc swapping, yet.

2 Likes

Could be. I haven’t kept up with it. If the disk options menu doesn’t show up in the quick menu, that’s probably why :stuck_out_tongue:

So the solution is to do exit and load the CD we want. Thanks for the reply.

, yet.

squinting hmmm…