Overlay next hotkey

How does the overlay next option work?

I have 2 overlays in a folder and my overlay directory points to that folder.

I set a hotkey to next overlay but all I get is a flicker on the screen and the current overlay remains.

I thought it would change to the next one

I have tried to build a cfg file but it wont load any border!

The goal is to have a Gameboy border then press the hotkey Overlay Next to swap to a Gameboy Color border

Using the Nvidia Shield TV and the Nvidia gamepad not a touch screen

overlays = 2

overlay0_overlay = gb.png
overlay1_overlay = gbc.png
overlay1_name = "Gameboy Color"

overlay0_full_screen = true
overlay1_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 1
overlay0_desc0 = "overlay_next"
overlay0_desc0_next_target = "Gameboy Color"

overlay1_descs = 0

Not sure how to build the config file as the examples i found have the Overlay_next with button positions

Got this to work with the below cfg file

overlays = 2

overlay0_overlay = gb.png
overlay1_overlay = gbc.png
overlay1_name = "Gameboy_Color"

overlay0_full_screen = true
overlay1_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 1
overlay0_desc0 = "overlay_next,400,460,rect,40,20"
overlay0_desc0_next_target = "Gameboy_Color"

overlay1_descs = 0

1 Like

Hey! Bumping this topic with a quick question.

I have two overlays for each system, one of the overlays needs to be used with integer scale, the other with full screen.

Is there a way to set some sort of cfg file that when switches between pngs it also goes on and off with the integer scale?

There’s an option in the overlays, overlayX_full_screen, that determines whether the overlay uses the full screen or just the viewport (i.e., the game window). It sounds like you would want to set that to ‘false’ on the ones that need integer.

Thanks hunter, but with false I am shrinking the overlay to the integer scale game space, and what I would like is for the overlays to remain as they are (full screen), but when switching between them, the game space is the one that goes full screen in 4:3 or integer scale 4:3.

So you want to switch the video (integer scale) setting when you change the overlay on the fly between the 2 overlays you have per system?

YES! :slightly_smiling_face:

I have one overlay that is two bands on the sides (for full screen 4:3), and one overlay that has image all around (for integer scale 4:3).

Is that possible?

I dont believe so. The two systems are not linked.

Overlay configs only manipulate the images onscreen and video settings control the screen size afaik.

Is this just for personal choice on appearence or because certain games command a different screen res within a system?

I can only see using the content directory preset and splitting your roms into folders as a fixed work around. As for just on the fly choice I am not sure its possible at all.

1 Like

It is only for aesthetic purposes, so I can be able to choose on the fly whether to play games in full screen or with an overlay. Makes sense that it cannot be done.

Thats what I thought. I do love all that stuff, unless @hunterk can think of a work around i would say the overlay system could be a good topic for the bounty discussion forum