Reicast Disc Swap problem - D2

Hello, I’d like to ask for some help.

I’ve been using Reicast through Retroarch for Windows to play through the game D2 and have run into some trouble.

I had seen that in an update to the Reicast core from last December, disc swapping was implemented. I have confirmed that this does work as advertised, as I have used it to play Pop’n Music 3 (which must be appended to Pop’n 2).

In D2, the game’s opening cutscene is actually held on the fourth disc (I assume for space-saving reasons), and I am able to swap from any other Disc (1-3) to Disc 4 to view this scene. I am also able to load Discs 2-4, select New Game, and change to Disc 1.

My problem, specifically, comes at the end of Disc 1. The game plays through a series of cutscenes, after which it gives the standard ‘Please insert Disc 2’ message. For some reason, no matter what I try, the game will not acknowledge that I have ‘inserted’ the second disc. I have tried ‘ejecting’ the disc tray and letting the game run to have it ‘acknowledge’ the swap before appending the proper disc, to no avail. I have also confirmed that it is not an issue with the disc image, as it starts fine on its own. Is there any other course of action I could try or am I just screwed?

What little documentation I could find about this issue seemed to allude to D2 using an unorthodox method of disc swapping that is difficult to implement into an emulator, so I suspect that this issue may be out of my hands, but if anyone has any suggestions for options I may have overlooked I’d be very grateful.

Thank you for reading all of this and for any help you can offer!

2 Likes

Could you upload a VMU so that I can test switching from disk 1 to disk 2? Also can you point me to the source of information that D2 is using a special disk swapping method?

In any case you should probably open a github issue for this problem. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply! These should be all relevant VMU files, through I’m honestly not certain how Retroarch/reicast handles saves so let me know if you need anything else. The save should be right at the end of Disc 1, just walk forward and to the left and investigate the gas cans, then just let the cutscenes play until the prompt.

Regarding the disc swapping method, it’s not much of a source, just a vaguely-worded forum post from years ago for a different emulator. It being the root of the issue is just speculation on my part. Sorry if this isn’t that helpful.

Lastly - and sorry if this is a noobish question, I’ve never really had to get tech support like this before - which github page should I post the issue on? Just the RetroArch one? Thanks again.

1 Like

Fantastic! That should be more than enough to reproduce the issue.

Here is the page where you should open an issue for the reicast core: https://github.com/libretro/reicast-emulator/issues

1 Like

Thanks again for responding! I have opened the issue on the GitHub page as you suggested. Please let me know if you have any further insights. Also, I realized a small mistake in my earlier post. To get to Disc 2 from my saved position, walk forward and turn right, not left. You probably could have figured this out, but I just wanted to clarify.

Yep, there’s a wall on the left :wink:

But yes i can reproduce the issue and no matter what I try, it won’t recognize the 2nd disc. Working on it…

1 Like

i cant run reicast core, crash app when load game