2xBRZ shader for RetroArch?

so you dnt know how to stick to the subject or use the ra shader system? it doesnt matter what other shaders there are. subject was u saying high xbrz and scalefx wither detail. what detail is depleted? no blur, no scanlines matter in the topic of discussion. shaders have togglable option in the retroarch game menu. you dnt need notepad to adjust

Screenshots of super metroid you posted do feel over processed and have some kind of blurriness. OP is looking for a less strong effect and sharper look.

it’s come to my attention that you have a hard time reading. peace out

Bruh, I can’t engage with this. You’re accusing others of lacking reading comprehension as I now have to explain to you for the third time that the 9x ScaleFX shader does not have a straightforward scale factor modifier listed in its options. I cannot simply change the value 9 to a 2 and it adjusts accordingly. Whether this is done via text editor or in RetroArch itself is irrelevant. The option isn’t there.

Furthermore, you asked me to explain to you what I find wrong with the screenshots you posted, so I did. But then you turn around and claim that I’m being off-topic for doing so, while also suggesting that adding other visual effects including blur of all things does not impact visual fidelity or quality, which is just patently false on its face, and does not even warrant posting screenshots as refutation, as this should be readily apparent to anyone with basic understanding of aesthetics that this is simply untrue.

For what it’s worth, I will say that the combination of filters you used does have its own certain charm to it; it’s just not particularly to my tastes. It is one thing to argue personal preferences, but to outright deny the obvious effects and trade-offs to consider makes it hard for me to take these arguments seriously.

MSAA used to be the king of anti-aliasing methods because it targeted jaggies directly while leaving the rest of the image untouched. As game engines advanced however, MSAA could no longer function correctly so newer methods had to be developed, but they often come at a cost of softening the overall image and therefore degrading the quality of textures in order to achieve. Now, I think there are valid points on both sides in that for example, one could say the loss in texture quality is worth it to get rid of the jaggies. However, I feel like McSwingles would argue that no actually, using modern AA has no degradation in quality at all and by not using AA you are just making the image look objectively worse by exposing the jaggies, which is an argument that is either disingenuous or ignorant at best.

At any rate, I already got the shader I wanted months ago. I was willing to entertain this other shader for a while, but I’m having a hard time taking this seriously anymore, so I would prefer if this topic just be locked at this point. Apologies Hunter for the long-winded and unnecessary arguments. I do still appreciate that you took the time to help me out.

2 Likes